Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 09:28 PM
Boodaggy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission problem

First of all, new member here and would like to thank you guys in advance for any insight, information, and hospitality I receive from you.

Now to my problem. I have a 1999 dodge caravan sport with around 169k miles on it. I bought it used, with a slipping transmission. Best way to describe the slipping is when you first start it for the day, I put it in drive and the transmission either doesnt engage, or if it does, it seems to drop out of gear after I pick up a little speed. I almost have to rev the motor up and hold it around 2 grand to get it to kick back into gear, sometimes it feels like its stuck in second gear. After driving it around for a few minutes, the transmission works fine. No more dropping out of gear, no more stuck in second gear. It will revert back to the problems listed if it sits overnight.

I have read about limp mode and I really beleive that is what is happening, but why? What are some of the culprits? I am not sure what transmission I have, but I beleive it is a 41ae or a 41ae, it is a 4 speed auto.

I have also changed the transmission fluid and filter, and it seemed to help for a bit but started going back to the way it was, but not nearly as bad.

I will end up doing most of the mechanical work myself and thought about rebuilding it but would like to have some more information.

Thanks

Old 03-14-2010, 11:44 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Welcome to DF
I would have the transmission scan for codes, and post the codes and the CVI readings. This way i or some of our other members can help. And if you wanted to repair the transmission yourself. I do have a pdf file on transmissions. You didn't say if the van was an all wheel drive. Your transmission is a 41TE.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:38 AM
Boodaggy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey thanks for the welcome!

The van is just FWD. I had read somewhere that the check engine light needs to be on in order for the codes to be pulled for the transmission? Or a piggyback needs to be installed to record the codes as they come up? Is that the case? If so the check engine light hasnt come on since I change the tranny fluid and filter. If I am not mistaken, I dont think any other vehicle I have owned didnt have some way of storing the codes as they occured, and they could be pulled with or without the check engine light illuminated.

I looked under the new user section, under the post labeled commonly abbreviated terms and didnt see cvi listed there. And a quick google look didnt really give me any clue either. Could you give me the full wording? I can look up the rest.

Thanks again.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:09 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Not really. Some transmission codes can be stored and not turn the ck engine lite on. Just remember, you will get a P0700 code for the transmission from the engine controller. But you need to get the rest of the codes from the TCM. CVI( Clutch Volume Index )

Last edited by master tech; 03-15-2010 at 10:12 PM. Reason: adding to story

Quick Reply: Transmission problem