Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2000 Caravan electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 02:01 PM
SilverWA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Caravan electrical problem

I have a 2000 Dodge Caravan with the 3.3L engine; 135,000 miles. We were experiencing what I thought was transmission shifting problems this past fall so we had a rebuilt transmission installed. Sine them we have continued to experience what feels like engine misfiring. The engine idles fine but when I put it in gear and get it up to 1500-2000 rpm it will loss power periodically. It’s as if it is loosing a spark but not consistently. Rpm’s drop and then come back but then cycle continues. I have taken van up to 50 mph and continue to experience what feels like misfires. Check engine light came on so I did some engine code checking and replaced the cam shaft and crank shaft sensors. Then I replaced the spark plugs, spark plug wires and the ignition coil. Nothing seems to solve the problem. One last suggestion I’ve gotten is that it might be the ignition computer module (ECM). This is a pricey piece without any assurance that it will fix the problem. Any ideas? Thanks

Old 03-29-2010, 10:24 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Welcome to DF
Does the ck engine still come on and if it does, what are the codes? If you are getting code P0340 or P0344. You could have broken flex plate. The person who did the transmission should have taken the flex plate off and inspect it.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:37 PM
SilverWA
Default Engine code

Thanks for the advice so far. I check the ck engine light and got a P1391 code. This is the same code I got before I began changing out the electrical wiring components.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:26 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Thats a loss of crank or cam sensor,My guess is a broken flex plate.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:53 AM
SilverWA
Default Thank you so much

You were right on the money. I got my mechanic to pull and check the flex plate and it was broken. Repair fell under warranty for transmission so things seem to be looking up. THANKS AGAIN.

Quick Reply: 2000 Caravan electrical problem