Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

1996 Caravan dies while driving

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010 | 12:49 PM
bluegrill
|
Default 1996 Caravan dies while driving

1996 Grand Caravan, 3.3L. The engine will just die unexpectedly while driving. Can happen anytime. Always restarts after a minute or two. No check engine light. Key-on Key-off just gives 12 and 55. Bought a code reader. No codes stored. I have read hundreds of posts on various forums with similar problems. Many suggest replace cam and/or crank sensor. But, if either of these was causing the problem wouldn't there be a code? I am stumped. I live out in the middle of nowhere with no good shops to go to. Dealer is really my only option but I don't really feel like paying them a bunch of money to poke around and just guess at the problem. Anybody have any ideas?

Old 05-04-2010 | 03:34 PM
vabear
Professional
Default Dies while driving

On my '96 3.3 she would die and then i would have to wait for her to cool down before restart (crank position sensor) and no codes using key code. I would suggest a trip to Advance auto parts for a free scan (if you are in a state that allows this), that was how I found my problem.

Old 05-04-2010 | 03:53 PM
bluegrill
|
Default dies while driving

vabear:

I bought an Autel code reader from Amazon. It says no codes stored. Is the Advance and/or Auto Zone reader going to tell me any different? Also, when it dies, it always starts (so far) within a couple of minutes. Don't have to wait for cool down.

Old 05-04-2010 | 07:12 PM
vabear
Professional
Default Dies While Driving

Do not know if the stores can tell you any different, but here is what I would do, carry the code reader with you and when she dies, immediately code her. On my car, she would only code immediately after she died.

Old 05-04-2010 | 08:23 PM
micahgoodreau

i had the same problem with my '96. turnred out that the fuel pump was over heating. replace it and all was fine.

Old 05-08-2010 | 02:53 PM
rusty bolts

My 96,3.3L is doing the same thing and sometimes starting back while still rolling but other times several minutes before it will start again.

I have gotten cam position sensor and TPS codes from a friend's reader after engine cuts out and would not restart for 40+ minutes. This 96, 3.3L supposedly has 5.0v reference to both sensors but checking leads it is always below 5v. Yesterday it showed 4.77v at the TPS and 3.77 at cam PS.

Trying to troubleshoot further but suspecting sensors are good and just getting unreliable ref. voltage. Have thought of buying and wiring in a standard REF02 voltage regulator chip using the 12+-13+v from battery to see if having a stable 5.0v reference will solve the issue if something else is causing the condition (like the chime and low fuel light that sometimes go crazy or some other sensor that may be reducing my voltage).

Maybe something else in the instrument panel or other under hood sensors share my 5v circuit and are grounding/shorting out my reference voltage.
My only concern is that this may mess up my computer in some way. Otherwise I am thinking I will have to replace wiring or maybe computer.

Old 05-08-2010 | 03:21 PM
Tizzy1
Champion

The TPS is a 5v feed, the cam sensor is an 8v feed. If they don't have close to that when unplugged, unplug the other sensors in the circuit with them and see if it comes back. The sensor you unplug when the voltage comes back is the bad one. IF you unplug them all and still low, check at the PCM, if it is low there, then the module is most likely bad.

Old 05-18-2010 | 08:21 PM
Pablodragon
All Star

Originally Posted by micahgoodreau
i had the same problem with my '96. turnred out that the fuel pump was over heating. replace it and all was fine.

I'm with this guy.

Had a 96 Sport and had exactly the same problem. I pretty much narrowed it down to the fuel pump.
Had bought the van new in 96 and after 12 years, decided it was time for another. Wifee loves the Caravans, so I traded it in, with the bad fuel pump, for a 2006 GC in 2008.
(she still loves me!)

Quick Reply: 1996 Caravan dies while driving