Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Ram guy needs some help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 11:38 PM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ram guy needs some help!

Hi guys, my cousin has a 1998 Dodge ram Caravan with the 3.8L engine and the front wheel drive with posi. It has 200k on it and reverse seems to have gone out(if you play with it you can sometimes get it to go) all forward gears are good though. So he wants me to swap trannys for a used one. How hard is this going to be on a van? Costs? Would it even be worth swapping it with this many miles? Or should i have him just sell it? Need help asap as I may have to fly out there this week to help him.

Josh

Old 05-18-2010, 12:29 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

Even Ram Guys are welcome here. Its not that hard to replace, you will need to support the rear of the engine if you are doing the trans on your back. It would be a lot easyer with a lift. There are a couple of things to look for. The TRS sensor. Be sure the pins match up to the connnector and take the flex plate off and bolt the flex plate to the torque converter. I hate to see you pull the trans back out becayse the torque converter didn' t line up.If you have any question, send me a pm.