Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Fluid Leak???

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 11:01 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

I think tizzy meant RTV.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:03 AM
sapporo
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you don't need sealant on the bolts themselves, When I do this job, I jack up the left side higher than the right so I don't have residual dripping when trying to install cover with new sealer. Use a good quality RTV sealant like Ultra Black or Ultra Grey. NEVER use RTV blue.... that only belongs oozing out all over a small block chevy (I see just about every orange chevy motor with gobs of blue sealer all over the place)...lol

Old 06-30-2010, 02:29 PM
rinse

Well I tried mine today, no luck! leaking worse then it was.

Here is what happened:

Getting the old cover off tiny scratched the surface of tranny - got smooth with 1500 grit Sand paper, NO prob.

But the bloody tranny would not stop dripping fluid, I had my jack with two pieces of 2x4 at the max to tilt it enough. Still couldn't get it to stop!!!

So i tried to be as fast as possible in getting the cover on with " the right stuff", and it didn't leak, let it sit a bit Right stuff says INSTANT GASKET, went for a drive and cam back there was drip!

DAMN! try again tomorrow, maybe 3 pieces of wood!

BTW, where would you jack it up underneath front driver?

Any suggestions would be great!!

Thanks!

Old 06-30-2010, 02:38 PM
sapporo
Banned

I'd take off the pan cover and put in a new filter, then do the side cover while trans is draining, install new filter and seal pan (it would be best to buy a high quality reuseable trans pan gasket so you don't have to worry about proper seal useage techniques

when you do the end cover, put a very nice neat uniform 1/8" bead make sure you center the bead and stay inboard of all fastener holes. I see a lot of people improperly use RTV. I came a cross a car with a spun bearing where a guy used darn near a whole tube of blue rtv for the oil pan seal soo much sealer got in with the oil and plugged off the pickup screen.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:15 PM
rinse

Thanks for the info, I just got the filter changed not to long ago, I think tommorow I will open it up on flat ground, let it drain a while, then Jack it up. taht might get more out. i opened it up while it was jack to one side?

Also any ideas on jack up points?

Thanks Sap!

Old 06-30-2010, 05:29 PM
sapporo
Banned

take off cover, jack up passenger side and drain, then let down passengerside and jack up driver side. you can jack on any appropriate jacking point on the chassis.

or just buy a gasket for the end cover than sealer will not be your issue

Old 06-30-2010, 09:36 PM
rinse

So I think I got it on! On the side of the transmission is a machine port that is right in between what would be the path for RTV, when I pulled it off i noticed that it was still a bead, so that was the "leak". I cleaned everything off, and put the new bead with a bend at that paint, and it seems okay, Card board underneath...see in the morn! I like how "the right stuff" seals instantly. That stuff is great!

Old 06-30-2010, 10:13 PM
sapporo
Banned

I'll bet the next time you use sealant, you'll now be more attenative to how it's installed.

we all learn a lot more from our failures over our success.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:35 PM
zzdodge

Forgive me for kicking up an old thread. I am doing this job right now, and cannot stop the drip from the gear area. I've lowered the left side, let it drain for an hour, then lifted it up pretty high and the transmission fluid keeps dripping.

Any suggestions or comments?

65 mph winds tonight, so I put the old cover back on, put a oil drain pan underneath, and used several 50 to 60 lb rocks to keep it from blowing away tonight.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:18 PM
rinse

@zzdodge. What I remember is I jacked up the opposite side with a couple 2x4 block to raise it even higher to "dump " more fluid out. Then jacked the side your working on with the same 2x4s to make it even higher. I remember the one side when jacked up was extremely high, I then wiped the tranny down and counted "one mississippi, two miss etc" to figure out extatly how long i had before it dripped out again, Then I gasketed the panel, as gasket material i used "the right stuff" as its instant gasket. The wiped clean and hoped for the best. Took me three tries, as i kept miss placing the gasket around some port on the tranny. The job sucked, seemed easy, but by the end of the day it took my like 6 hours. Whoa, I was not happy that day!

Hope this help!

Quick Reply: Fluid Leak???