Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2000 Caravan 3.3L black smoke bad, remove bat cable reset, better

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010 | 02:21 PM
reap70
|

Looked in the Haynes manual and it says that only four cylinder motors have IAT sensors. The code 23 says Intake Air Temp Sensor Voltage Low (P0112) or High (P0113). Where should I start looking now?

Old 06-29-2010 | 01:25 PM
reap70
|
Default Update

Today, before I left, I took off the battery cable. At first it was hesitating/black smoke like it has been. I think the it still had too much gas already in there and once it cleared out after a few blocks, it ran fine until my destination 15 miles away. Gas mileage was around 20 MPH driving 55 MPH. When I left the place to go back home, it was back to it's old tricks again. Got about 10 MPH, hesitating, black smoke, IE too much fuel. I think whatever is faulty is something that is adjusting to driving conditions. Again, code is 23 which is IAT sensor voltage too high or too low. According to Haynes manual, this vehicle does not have an IAT sensor (only on 4 cyl, not 3.3L). So what could be tripping off the code?

Old 06-29-2010 | 05:40 PM
reap70
|

Does this sound right?

Harness or connectors (The sensor circuit is open or shorted.)
Intake air temperature sensor may be faulty. The P0113 code means your Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor is sending a voltage signal back to the PCM that is too high, The thermistor is like a resistance that changes with temperature that sensor will send a signal in voltage to your PCM accordingly. Voltage will decrease as the temperature increases if your thermistor is no longer working it will create an open circuit and your voltage will always be way high and your PCM will receive a fault code, rust and corrosion can also cause this, a bad electrical flow will increase resistance and send a faulty signal also, Hope this helps.

Old 07-01-2010 | 11:30 AM
Tizzy1
Champion

when you check for codes, it should display the P code in the odometer, where are you getting code 23 from?

Old 07-01-2010 | 12:12 PM
sapporo
Banned

if you do the key dance, you get the blinking light routine

Old 07-01-2010 | 01:11 PM
reap70
|

@Tizzy, it's popping up on the odometer. It's not doing it with the key turn trick, but by pressing trip and reset together a couple of times. It repeatedly flashed 23, 55 (end of list), blank. I checked the Haynes manual and it is the equivalent to the "p" code p0112 or p0113 which is the IAT sensor voltage too high or too low. The Haynes also says the 3.3L does not have that sensor. So I'm looking for another translation to this code for my specific vehicle. A lot of posts think the person is dreaming this, but it is indeed there! LOL In fact, another new post has the same issue.

Suggestion, maybe should post the list of 2 digit codes on here as a sticky? Haynes manual has the entire list of 2 digit and which "p" codes the 2 digit translates to. Sorry if it's on here already, didn't see it.

I took to a shop yesterday to get a scanner reading and of course check engine light was not on! LMAO! It has been on 99% of the time since I bought the vehicle and it picks then to not come on! BTW, as soon as I pulled out it came back on. Gary was really busy so he really couldn't get to it again, but just too funny not to pass on.

Old 07-01-2010 | 01:15 PM
sapporo
Banned

if at any time a code was set to turn on the check engine light, that code is recorded and saved which a scanner will retreive. codes are designed to be stored for 255 (or so) key cycles before being purged. so if it came in with a check engine light on, and it wasn't on during testing, there will be a stored code related to why the light came on.

Old 07-01-2010 | 06:52 PM
reap70
|

@ sapporo, thanks for the info. i did the battery reset would that clear them? even so, a code should have come up since the check engine light was on before he hooked up scanner. He said nothing was coming up on the scanner tho. not sure what's up with that. i'm going back up tomorrow to see. i'll give an update then.

Old 07-01-2010 | 07:11 PM
sapporo
Banned

not sure, if there's an active problem reconnecting the battery will put a code right back into the system.

Old 07-01-2010 | 07:41 PM
reap70
|

Right, that's what I would think too. I got some info from the the other recent post with the same issue that the code could be from the MAP sensor. I'm checking into that now. Any other ideas are welcome! Thanks guys for all the help! Couldn't do half the repair work without these great forums.

Quick Reply: 2000 Caravan 3.3L black smoke bad, remove bat cable reset, better