Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2000 Caravan 3.3L black smoke bad, remove bat cable reset, better

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010 | 02:16 PM
reap70
|
Question 2000 Caravan 3.3L black smoke bad, remove bat cable reset, better

Here's the story. Everything fine until about a week ago. Radiator leak has led to overheating every once in a while (don't know if this is connected but letting you all know). Gas was empty and put $20 in at a gas station I never have visited. Driving home (about 1 hr ride) and after about 10 minutes of driving, motor started hesitating badly and black smoke pouring out tailpipe. Then got better and later did it again for a little on the way home, but got better again. Thought it was bad gas, so I let the gas run out before refueling. Kept doing this off and on, but gradually got worse to where it was happening all the time. It got so bad, I was getting less than 5MPG.

I realize the issue is too much gas, but why?

Yesterday, I took off the battery cable to reset everything. Immediately, the gas mileage stats were normal again (on that temp, mpg, ect selection display above center) and driving was back to normal. Now however, it's slightly hesitating again, but not like it was. Not sure if black smoke is still there, I don't drive much.

***One other note, over the winter we pulled the tranny and put it back in. I haven't looked, but is it possible the wires that run near the manifold touched it and melted could cause this? I am not sure what these wires do is why I am asking. I will check these when I get a chance in a little while.***

My question is do you all think this is a deeper issue such as o2 sensor or something, or should I just dump some injector cleaner in, check the plugs, or something like that. I am asking ahead of time because it is near 100 degrees here this week and I don't take the heat very well (2 weeks ago my blood pressure dropped very low and I ended up in e.r.). I just want to go out and get right to the issue instead of piddling around outside. I don't mean to sound like a jerk, just concerned.

One final note, Thanks to all of you great people who help us shade tree guys out! You really are doing a great thing for people! You rarely bash people like in other forums which is awesome!

Old 06-23-2010 | 04:59 PM
Tizzy1
Champion

Did the check engine lamp ever come on and did you check for codes?

Old 06-23-2010 | 09:50 PM
trophyslayer
Veteran

how many miles on the van, ever replace spark plugs/wire?

Old 06-24-2010 | 02:35 PM
reap70
|
Exclamation

Check engine light has been on for about 5 years now. I have tried to check for a code, but never have seen one. I must not be doing it right. I will search again how to do it. I turn the key and look at the mileage display. Just shows all 0's. Speaking of mileage, it has over 220,000 and yes I have changed the plugs. It's a little more pleasant today, not as humid, so I am going to take out the front ones and check them.

Update, drove around town some yesterday and yes it is still doing the hesitation, but I am not seeing any smoke. In addition to the plugs, I will check the air filter and add some fuel injector cleaner. Any other ideas?

Thanks again!

Old 06-24-2010 | 03:26 PM
Tizzy1
Champion

That's a good start, let us know what you find.

Old 06-24-2010 | 05:18 PM
reap70
|

Air filter looks OK, but I got a new one anyway. Plugs however are very black. I came in to get the gap and hopefully this is the final step!

Old 06-24-2010 | 08:12 PM
mfahey
Veteran

As far as retrieving the codes, turn the key to on and then off 3 times and the codes will come up.

Old 06-28-2010 | 12:36 PM
reap70
|

It has gone back to black smoke out the pipe again, but not as often. Looks like it's slowly getting worse like the first time it happened. Every once in a while, it runs fine. Will check codes in a few.

Old 06-28-2010 | 12:59 PM
reap70
|

I finally got some codes by holding in the trip and reset at the same time. It is showing 23 then 55 then blank and repeats this over and over. I will search for this.

Old 06-28-2010 | 01:47 PM
reap70
|

Did some looking and 55 is coming up as end of list. 23 is coming up as intake air temperature sensor.

Quick Reply: 2000 Caravan 3.3L black smoke bad, remove bat cable reset, better