Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

08 grand caravan sxt tranny went out.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 04:17 PM
gentz
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

took it in for a second opinion, the technician at the marty franich chrysler dealership noticed it right away. Transmission has problems! Good now they set me up for a complete diagnosis, wife takes it in and guess what? I have to pay for the diagnosis if i want it done! WTF. Well i call Chrysler and havent gotten a response back. This seems as if i will have to sue someone. This is a pain. Time to look for an attorney.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:55 PM
sapporo
Banned

guess a warranty is totally useless with a bankrupt company. maybe if you go out and intentionally blow the thing up, then they can't play these games and then you can get a new trans.

Old 10-11-2010, 02:51 PM
gentz
Professional

Transmisssion was torn down by a private shop. Findings werent good..Right away metal shavings on pan, and this had just been rebuilt by dodge dealer. tore it all apart and found thrust bearings making grinding noise, planetary gears were scored and lots of casting shavings... they cleaned the tranny and found a crack in the transmission case. Lawsuit for the dodge dealer that just had rebuilt it is coming. On the other hand.. A reman transsmission was purchased from Dahmer Power Train Inc.. Transmission seemd to be of diferent cast for the casing as it was heavier than the one that was original. They put it in last week...close to 5 on friday, they test drove and didnt get far. In reverse it goes into gear fine, when put into drive it goes in smoth but when we tried to drive as soon as it started to roll would slip and suddenly engage an pop a check engine. Code p0731. after that then the transmission would just shift really hard into reverse and drive. I guess we just have really bad luck. lets see what the second transmission does.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:20 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

The metal shavings are from the underdrive compounder bearings and the number 5 thrust bearing.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:09 PM
blubomber

gentz, thanks for the update. As it was stated in another thread, i am having similar issues you were experiencing with your transmission. I did get an extended warranty on mine, so i am sure it will cover any costs with rebuilding or replacing mine.

when the time comes, should i take it to a dodge dealer or a transmission shop? The dodge dealer in my city is not known to do good work.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:31 PM
gentz
Professional

we have extended too, and be carefull even re-built trannys have problems..we had the first rebuilt bu dodge dealer....transmission failed within a week, then a rebuilt was put in ( whole new unit) and it would slip from first into 3rd... and stay in safe mode....now a 3rd....will post resuslts

Quick Reply: 08 grand caravan sxt tranny went out.