Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Minivan Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 04:40 PM
neednewvan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Minivan Advice

Dear Forum Members,
I would like to solicit your advice in our search for a used minivan for our family. I am listing a few of our requirements and questions. Please lend your sage advice in aiding our search for a suitable vehicle.

Requirements:
1. Our budget is $10-11k
2. We have 2 young kids, so we would like a standard or long wheelbase vehicle (no short wheel bases). Would prefer 7 seating config.
3. Storage is important with the kids stuff (strollers, bags, etc). WE will also use the vehicle for hauling things from Home Depot/IKEA, etc. One of my reasons to look at a GC/Town and Country is the Stow N Go seating
4. Need a reliable vehicle-we plan to keep this for 5 years, maybe more.

With these requirements in mind, I have a few questions

a. I am inclined towards GC/Town and Country in the 2005-2006 model years due to the stow N go seating (2nd row bucket seats). Anything to watch out here? Are 2nd row benches better than buckets or vice versa?

b. I can probably land Town and Country/GC's with a mileage of ~70-80K (2006 MY). Do these vehicles last well beyond 100k or am I looking at mucho maintanence costs after this mark?

c. I have been reading about frequent brake jobs, transmission issues, sway bar replacements and power sliding door motor issues on these vehicles. Any inputs here? I realize I am buying used...how would I check for these?

d. 3.3 vs 3.8 engines....should I avoid one vs. the other. Anything to watch out for?

e. Any model years to get or avoid. I've read that the 2007 MY might be better.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:55 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

Welcome to DF
These are some tuff questions, The 3.3 or the 3.8L engines are good and the transmissions have gotten better, I believe the owners are taking better care of their vans. If i were to pick a year, I may go with the 2006 or 2007. 2007 was the last year of the RS body style, 2008 went to a RT body. I do repair transmissions on chrysler in a dealership. I haven't seen to many problems with 2006 to 2007 vans.I'm sure you with make the right choice.

Quick Reply: Minivan Advice