Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

P0441 OBD II Code

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 02:50 PM
vtjake
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile P0441 OBD II Code

I have a 2006 Grand Caravan. The Check Engine light came on after having rack and pinion replaced because it was leaking. Took it to Auto-Zone, Code P0441. Checked gas cap and purge solenoid as well as visually inspected vacuum hoses. Bought new OEM leak detection pump from dealer and replaced. Light went out for 1 week. Now the CE light is back on and giving same P0441 Code.

After reading other forums on other sites, some mention a vacuum switch.

Where is this located? Haynes makes no mention of this item.
Could this be same as Purge Solenoid?

Also, the Owner's Manual says that if the gas cap is not tight, the odometer will read Gas Cap. Is this also true if gas cap is tight, but faulty?

Any ideas?

Old 08-01-2010, 09:08 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

The purge solenoid is not the same as a vent valve. The vent valve is under the van, it will are two large hoses and one small vacuum hose going to it.Ck all your hoses for cracks. Also remove the air filter box too,there is a small hose the most people miss. And that will cause a evap code too.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:43 PM
vtjake

Is the vent valve near the charcoal canister?

Thanks for the info about the hoses. I will take a closer look and also look at the one under the air filter box.

Jake

Old 08-01-2010, 10:17 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Thats right Jake, the vent valve is near the canister.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:10 PM
vtjake

I re-checked the hoses and everything still seems fine. I was thinking it might be the vent valve. I called the Dealer to get a price. He was unsure of the part I was talking about. He asked if I wanted a PCV valve. I told him that the vent valve was near the evap canister.

Do you have a part number for the vent valve? Can you describe what it looks like?

Also, is there a way to check the vent valve and EVAP canister?

Thanks.

Jake

Old 08-19-2010, 05:31 PM
sapporo
Banned

there's a tool called a smoke machine that finds evap leaks.

there are a lot of other methods you can use to find evap leaks but the smoke machine is the fastest easiest method

Old 08-20-2010, 11:06 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

An '06 does not have the vent valve. With the P0441 code, the pcm doesn't see the switch in the leak detection pump close when it runs the purge solinoid. That can be because the switch is bad, and you have already replaced it. It could be because your purge solinoid isn't working, hard to test without a scan tool. Or you could have a leak so big the solinoid can't close the switch, hard to find without a smoke machine. Might have to take this one to the shop.

Old 08-21-2010, 01:04 PM
vtjake

I could probably get access to the code scanner. How would I go about checking the purge solenoid with the scanner?

Thanks.

Jake

Old 08-16-2011, 01:04 AM
christopher760407
Default p0441 2005 grand caravan

i had a check engine light on for a p0441 evap so i changed the gas cap , it came back on, changed the purge solenoid it came back on, took it to a shop they said it was the ldp had them change that then it came back on, took it back to them they now say my purge solenoid that i replaced isnt getting power to it and that my computer is bad, but dont know what to believe any help? i know that a few days ago the purge solenoid was working cuz i can feel it clicking but after they replaced the ldp it quit working

Quick Reply: P0441 OBD II Code