Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

1999 Caravan No Power

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 11:34 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Perhaps a timing chain may have jumped a tooth. Not overly familiar with the 3.0L. But at 170K, she's had a good life.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:29 PM
dtsman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Worn cam seems to be what the issue was.
Even though I already sold it to a junk collector, I met someone who feels he knows what the issue was. Because I used it for a work van full of tools and a ladder rack, I was harder on the engine than most, and the muffled backfires where a big give away. He strongly believes the cam lobes where worn down and not opening the valves properly.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:51 AM
ANGELFIRE

its not illegal to sell converters to junk yards. I have. Its illegal to sell them multiple ones that you stoled off someones car!!!
Also I had same problem with my van and the firing order was wrong. I am having it again because someone adjusted the timing or idle speed after they redid the firing order.....they had me hold brake while they revved engine up by hand while they were messing up my van again, adjusting something......It's way bad now. Can't get over 10 mph. Backfiring like a mother trucker, does anyone know what they were adjusting, with the throttle cable under the hood?

Old 10-06-2010, 07:13 AM
ANGELFIRE
Thumbs up Saying It

Originally Posted by dtsman
Thanks Pincup for your help. Drilling the 4 holes through the cat was just a hail-mary shot. It didn't have to significantly fix the problem, just see if there was a change in performance so I could see if this part is what needed replacing. And there was absolutely no change. I am shooting this horse.

I am a capenter, not a mechanic, so I am calling it quits and calling the "We buy junk cars" guy and get me $500.
Between it not running, the cash I have spent already, rear seal leak, power steering leak, and a/c compressor leak. It's done. Can not complain. Bought it with 12,000 miles on it, ran it up to 170,000 miles only doing oil changes, brakes, and tires.

And don't konck sapporo too much. That's how people like him make themselves feel good. One can not argue with obvious professional advice as they will lose trying, and he knows this. I am sure we all know were to go for professional car advice but, most of us realize that places like this forum are places to try and find affordable/termporary work-arounds so we can get our crap running and get to work on Monday. Because if we could afford a real mechanic to do it, it would be there and I wouldn't be here.

Thanks again,
Bo
Houston,TX

Warning: this post contains 4 or more grammatical errors.
I couldn't have said it myself!! Could you read the end of this forum. I came on here to solve a problem. maybe get your input? I don't know where timing, idle speed or throttle thingy is & I need to fix my baby!! My other input explains my problem. Thanks.
I hope thingy isn't a violation!!

Old 10-06-2010, 07:18 AM
ANGELFIRE
Smile wrong place

Sorry its the one before these!!!!

Can ya help me??? Im just a girl. & need help.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:34 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

I do need some information. Year and engine size. Also is the check engine lite on and do you know what the codes are?

Quick Reply: 1999 Caravan No Power