Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

02 Caravan front brake problem ?...

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 06:59 PM
RC 2002
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Caravan front brake problem ?...

My wife takes our son to and from school in it and she has noticed a problem with the brakes......

A while back she took the van to a mechanic we trusted to fix the problem...and all he did was put new brake pads on it and sent it on its way....ok now think it has caused another problem, now when you drive it and hit the brakes the wheel will jerk and the outside of the rim/wheel gets hot to the touch.....where to go from here ??....

Old 09-12-2010, 09:37 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Take the wheels off and recheck the bolts holding brake assy to the spindel. I believe they are 13/16 or 21mm. And the pins too. They are 1/2 or 13mm. Asfar as the rim or rotor's getting hot. They will get hot when using the brakes. Its just the front get hotter than the rear brakes.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:53 AM
sapporo
Banned

probably needs new calipers and/or brake hoses cuz the brakes are dragging, they shouldn't be HOT from normal driving and if one side is hotter than the other, then you for sure have dragging brakes. which would be why you needed new pads.

just yesterday, I stopped a guy driving a minivan that I could smell hot brakes as I followed him. when we got to the next light, I ran up to him and told of his problem (he had NO CLUE). upon further inspection, the RF was glowing cherry red.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:00 PM
RC 2002

10-4, I rotated her tires yesterday....the outer pad looked ok, and the inner pad looked like it was wore down close to half way best I could tell...
And also noticed the r wheel wouldnt move any at all, but the d side I was able to roll it some....

The way our lucks been going Ill need new calipers, new pads of course and the rotors to be turned...this is about everything isnt it ?....thanks...

Old 09-13-2010, 07:05 PM
sapporo
Banned

I swore I said brake hoses also. so if you do hoses, calipers, pads, rotors, that'll be just about everything. only stuff left is master cylinder, hard lines, booster, and abs HCU assembly, then you'll have everything.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:25 AM
rezonator
Professional

you forgot the fluid!

Old 09-14-2010, 06:28 AM
sapporo
Banned

no, why would you need to replace that????

Old 09-14-2010, 07:48 PM
petet

Because brake fluid is hygroscopic. (except DOT 5) This means it absorbs water. It should be replaced every other year. It absorbs water, causes the system to rust and decreases the temperature that the fluid boils. When the fluid isn't clear you know it needs to be changed. This is what causes the caliper pistons and wheel cylinders to stick.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:49 PM
sapporo
Banned

your kidding, you mean I shouldn't be recycling my old brake fluid. huh, I woulda never thought that was an issue!

Old 09-15-2010, 01:42 AM
petet

You should never reuse old fluid. Even a bottle of fluid that has been opened and on the shelf is most likely absorbed water. New bottles of fluid have a seal under the cap to keep water out. Once you tear it off it will begin absorbing water.

Water is an enemy of your brake hydraulic system because all of the metal parts will rust or corrode.

Quick Reply: 02 Caravan front brake problem ?...