Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

New theory for the stalling 4.0l 2010

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 03:49 PM
gorsuchcaravan
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New theory for the stalling 4.0l 2010

Ok so the van is in again (7th time ) for the ever amazing stalling issue on our 2010 gran caravan. The dealer still can not get it to "act up" as they put it but they came up with the theory about that we might be filling up the gas tank too full?? they say that if any fuel gets into the EVAP canister that it could create this issue?? but my thought would be that it would send a code to the computer upon failure wouldn't?? but ours has no codes?? what is your thought on this new theory??

Old 09-15-2010, 06:51 PM
sapporo
Banned

my thoughts are they are grasping at straws and coming up with an way to blame the customer and hopefully get them to just go away.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:21 PM
Reycatech

The filling up of fuel and the EVAP canister has nothing to do with the engine stalling problem. I would suggest to you to disconnect your negative battery cable to reset the system especially the transmission. It will just give you a job to reprogram your radio station but it might help you.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:26 PM
sapporo
Banned

yes it would if the canister is saturated and CANP opens, the excessive fuel could cause stalling. this was a problem we had back in the 70's but with the designs today, this would be virtua lly impossible and wouldn't be limited to just this one case. We'd be hearing many more occurrences

BTW why does this board censor the word V I R T U A L? *******

Last edited by sapporo; 09-15-2010 at 10:28 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:04 PM
gorsuchcaravan
Amateur

well we got our van back and they are insisting that we watch how we fill up our van, they say dodge feels this is a common issue. But now our dealership is ordering a new wireless control module, they are not saying that this is failing but they feel that there may be an issue with ours that can be interfering with the ignition system and the key fobs. So i hope this will fix the issue...we will see though.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:21 PM
sapporo
Banned

if the fuel issue was true, you could have easily identified this with simple correlation of "filled the tank and a few minutes later it stalled" what you need to do is some SPC charting to pinpoint what events took place prior to the stall. record ambient temp, humidity, time of day, run time, fill/ no fill, speed, etc etc etc.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:35 PM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

Dont they have a monitoring system that they can plug into the ob11 and then it also can take readings for issues?

Old 09-16-2010, 09:39 PM
sapporo
Banned

yes, infact all quality scanners have flight data recording capabilities.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:26 PM
LansingMI

I agree, they are grasping at straws.

My dealer gave me the opposite theory last week! They said that "maybe" the gas was too low and that it had shifted in the tank a bit causing the engine to be "starved for fuel". (The gas was NOT low.)

When I repeated that to the Chrysler customer service representative I talked to yesterday, he said that anytime the gas is less than a quarter of a tank that there is the risk of stalling. SAY WHAT? I explained that I've had many, many vehicles over the years that I've run down to fumes and they've never, ever stalled and why should I accept that in my brand new vehicle? He relented and agreed that's not acceptable but didn't offer me anything than to lodge an "unresolved concern" issue with the dealer.

I believe that they know something is wrong but they don't want to admit it yet - probably for fear that it will hurt their next year model sales.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:22 PM
lovvorn
Banned
Default I had the same thing happen too to me !

I had a 1996 chevy that would just quit with no codes !! "long story " It was the fuel regulator pressure switch in the intake manifold . It thought there was pressure an just shut off the fuel pump any time any where ! I'll bet you could be having the same problem with no codes just like my chevy a sticky fuel pressure switch ?? my thoughts Duane

Quick Reply: New theory for the stalling 4.0l 2010