Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Low Fuel Light keeps binging

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 12:01 PM
scudam
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Fuel Light keeps binging

Hi Everyone,
I'm hoping that someone can help me figure out my current problem. With the help of everyone here, I managed to fix my problem with the insrtument cluster dying on my 98 Caravan. I removed it and resoldered the problem welds and now that works fine, Just before I fixed that problem, another one started happening. The low fuel light would bing and come on for a second or two. The gas gage would drop slightly then return to where it was. Now it tends to bing 3 to 5 times a minute. Which gets very annoying going to work every day. A couple of times when I start the car, the gas light would come on and the gage would read empty. If I shut off the car and restart it it would fix the problem, but not the binging. I would appreciate it if someone could tell me how to fix this. Thanks

Old 09-26-2010, 04:30 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

The problem could be the float in the fuel tank or the circuit board on the cluster.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:37 AM
scudam

I would suspect that it may be the float. First of all, the problem appears to worse after filling the tank and as the tank empties, the binging lessens. Also, the gas gauge tends to stick. I filled up a couple of days and the next day the gas gauge only went up to half a tank. If it is the float, is it something I can fix, or does a professional need to do? Thanks for your help.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:14 AM
vabear
Professional
Default Binging

On my '96 it was the sending unit (attached to fuel pump in the tank). I replaced the fuel pump module and for the last 75,000 miles no problems.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:54 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Sure you can do the job.But i would run the fuel tank down to 1/4 left in the tank.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:13 AM
vabear
Professional
Default Binging

Concur on burning the fuel level down. I did mine by getting the rear up on ramps, putting a piece of ply wood on the foot of a floor jack and then putting pressure on the tank, released the straps holing the tank and slowly lowered the tank until I had enough room to remove the pump (you do not need to remove the tank). Toughest part may be releasing the fuel line retainers as they are a wing inside of a tube (Haynes manual or Auto Zone are good sources for the procedure). Once the lines are released I used a strap wrench to release the screw on cap that locks the pump in the tank, and after that it was easy.

Quick Reply: Low Fuel Light keeps binging