Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2003 caravan engine shakes at low rpm in drive

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 10:42 AM
familyguyof7
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2003 caravan engine shakes at low rpm in drive

2.4 dual overhead cam auto, bought 6 wks ago, dealr said might be fuel filter. changed it and pump since I had the tank down. No codes no engine light on. cleaned map and egr, as well as tube no carbon build up. Changed plugs and wires, air filter and replaced all vacum lines just to play it safe. No leaks at throtle body or intake. Was wondering, looks like the timing cover has been removed and a water pump replaced. Could the timing be off just a couple of teeth and not throw a code. Engine has 87k, other than the vibration it drives great. Thanks in advance

Old 09-30-2010, 06:36 PM
sapporo
Banned

yes, the exhaust cam can be off and not set a code since the sensor is on the intake cam only.

don't forget to do a compression test. it is possible that valves may be damaged if the belt broke... I'm sure someone will argue that 2.4 clears pistons on belt failure however you can possibly get valve to valve contact.. could it be that they previous owner dumped the van because of this driveability problem?

Last edited by sapporo; 09-30-2010 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:22 PM
mirageman
Professional

my 98 2.4 did that, at 125k or so. ran great except for the shake, so I left it alone for weeks. my balance shaft chain was broken. the only reason I found out was I was due to change the timing belt and fix an awful oil pan leak. opened everything up and low and behold I found the broken chain

Old 01-10-2011, 10:36 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Did you ever find out why the chain broke?

Old 01-11-2011, 10:24 AM
mirageman
Professional

Kinda. the chain guides were worn pretty bad. everyone always told me my van sounds like a diesel, I'm guessing that chain was slapping against those guides for a few years until the chain just couldn't take it anymore! vehicle never was without oil/oil changes. I ripped everything apart and purchased a new chain and guides. those guides were expensive for cheap plastic. sounded much much better afterwards, however the clattering sound has returned now after two years or so. I will have to open 'er up again when the weather gets warmer and see if I have to re-adjust those guides. did some research at the time it broke, and there are many people who actually remove the entire balance shaft assembly out of these engines to get some extra horses to the wheels. supposedly the balance shafts are not too necessary when driving on the road, but I thought I was asking for trouble if I didn't go back to oem.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:19 PM
Pete M
Rookie

I recently had a bout of shaking-in-drive-when-stopped in my 97 3.3L. couple days later it magically stopped. scares me that it might come back at any time. My money was on motor mounts letting the engine to shift slightly but can't say for sure.

Quick Reply: 2003 caravan engine shakes at low rpm in drive