Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Dodge Caravan 2002 battery empty (mysterious)

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 01:29 PM
GrinderFX
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Caravan 2002 battery empty (mysterious)

Hi.
I have a dodge caravan from 2002 and my battery is every morning completely empty. Then I start my car with starter cables and drive a long distance.
Everything is than ok and I use my car the complete day. But in the next morning there is the problem again.
After I drove a long distance, I drove to auto parts and they checked my battery. The battery was fine, it was full. Then they checked if something uses my battery and it was ok. After 45 minutes nearly everything was off (we checked it again) (computer turn down everything after "30" minutes). Only 0.01 - 0.08 Amp was used. That is a perfect value!
Then, in the evening I removed the cables from battery to check if it is a bad battery. In the morning I build in the battery again and my car started.

How can that be, that the battery is fine, nothing used my battery and the battery is empty. It looks like a wonder.
Nobody can explain that!

Old 10-08-2010, 09:07 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Does this happen every morning?

Old 10-09-2010, 09:44 AM
GrinderFX

Yes

Old 10-09-2010, 04:37 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Something must be staying on to drain the battery. Leave the cables off until the next morning. If the is dead,i would guess the battery has a bed cell. If it starts and runs, then drawing the battery down.

Old 10-09-2010, 07:08 PM
GrinderFX

Something must be staying on to drain the battery. Leave the cables off until the next morning. If the is dead,i would guess the battery has a bed cell. If it starts and runs, then drawing the battery down.
That is what I do at the moment and it works.
Now I have to figure out what uses my battery and why the test by auto parts told me, that only 0.01 - 0.08 Amp was used. There must be something what turnes on after xx ours and drawing down the battery.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:05 PM
GrinderFX

Ok, now I am smarter.
I used my own multimeter to check what drains my battery.
The guy from the car store is an idiot and he is wrong.
My car uses my battery with 1.22 Amp.

I removed every fuse and when i remove the IOD fuse, the power goes down to 0.03 Amp.
When I remove only the HZD LP fuse, the power goes down to 0.54 Amp and when I remove the RDO/IP IGN fuse too the power goes down to 0.26 Amp.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:04 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Then you do have a circuit drawing the battery down. I have seen a radio stay active on the bus causing a battery drain. But i have only seen it two times. Also ck your glove box, see if there is a lite that comes on.

Quick Reply: Dodge Caravan 2002 battery empty (mysterious)