Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

First Time Owner W/1999 Van Issues/Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 06:01 PM
soliloquy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Time Owner W/1999 Van Issues/Questions

Hi People. Great forum here!

Just purchased a 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport with the 3.3L engine. 133k miles.

First time owning one of these, but they truly are great. I am hurting with this economy so had to buy older and used, and hopefully get it up to speed with needed repairs. Here is what I got-

Front motor mount bushing is bottomed out and engine is rolling pretty good with shift. Will do myself.

When shifting between D/R or when decreasing driving speed, there is a weird rapid clicking sound in tranny. Happens during engagement and stops when finally engagaed in gear. Shifts fine, just makes that strange sound (fairly loud) during downshifts and while pakred going from D/R. Stopped by Dodge dealer and service writer listened and said was normal. TRusted mechanic at Goodyear said same. Noise is like a card clipped to your bike spokes when you were a kid.

I am wondering if the engine movement with bad mount is enhancing noise and fixing mount will lessen roll, which will lessen noise?

I plan to drop the tranny pan and replace filter and fluid with ATF+4. Not doing flush as advised against it. Should I be considering a solenoid pack?

Rear windows do not open, and passenger window works intermittently.

Any advice/guidance on these two issues would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 10-11-2010, 08:57 PM
Pablodragon
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, I can tell you they are right about that rapid clicking being normal... I had a 96 that did that for the whole 12 years I owned it... never caused a problem. I think there are other Chrysler vehicles with that transmisiion in them thet do the same thing. I still hear some of them like when yer out shopping and one is leaving a parking spot!

Musta been common to the 96 -99 years... finally traded my 96 in on a used 2006 and cant remember hearing that noise anymore

Old 10-11-2010, 11:55 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

The clicking sound you are hearing is normal. Its from the solenoid pack, so when you put the transmisssion in drive or reverse it makes a ratchet sound. As you are driving you may hear the ratchet sound as you upshift or downshift. The 41TE transmission has been making this ratchet sound since 1989 thru 2010. Only on the 41TE.

Quick Reply: First Time Owner W/1999 Van Issues/Questions