Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Evaporator Replacement Help How To

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 01:22 PM
joemack
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evaporator Replacement Help How To

Hello everyone, first post here. I am looking for detailed procedure's on the replacement ofan evaporatorin a 2000 Grand Caravan. Does anyone know where I might be able to find it? Thanks

Old 08-17-2007, 10:22 PM
Dodge Tech
Captain
Default RE: Evaporator Replacement Help How To

well I am not all that far from U Unless u fell like u want to take apart teh whole dash and hvac housing I might be willing to do this sorta thing for u. I do this stuff at work all day long.

Old 08-17-2007, 10:29 PM
joemack

Just looking for the information so I can give it a try. Besides, Atlanta is a bit far from here. Thanks

Old 08-17-2007, 10:37 PM
Dodge Tech
Captain

here ya go

INSTRUMENT PANEL The instrument panel is removed as a unit. The steering column and wiring harnesses are assembled into the panel before installation. Service procedures for interior trim not related to the instrument panel can be found in Group 23, Body. REMOVAL[*]Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable Battery Negative Cable[*]Remove the lower console. Refer to Lower Console Removal and Installation in this section.[*]Remove the screw holding the lower heat duct to the instrument panel support Heat Duct[*]Disconnect the heat duct from the vehicle.[*]Remove the bolts holding the lower supports to the instrument panel frame Lower Supports[*]Remove the bolts holding the lower supports to the floor pan.[*]Remove the right and left end covers. Refer to Instrument Panel Right and Left End Cover Removal and Installation in this section.[*]Disconnect the wire connectors from the Passenger Airbag Module.[*]Remove the right and left cowl trim covers. Refer to Group 23 Body, Cowl Trim Removal and Installation[*]Remove the A-pillar trim covers.[*]Remove the glove box. Refer to Glove Box Removal and Installation in this section.[*]Disconnect the antenna lead connector from behind the glove box.[*]Remove the lower steering column cover. Refer to Lower Steering Column Cover Removal and Installation in this section.[*]Remove the knee blocker reinforcement. Refer to Knee Blocker Reinforcement Removal and Installation in this section.[*]Disconnect the lower two, forty pin wire harness connectors, from the main Junction Block near left cowl side panel Junction Block and Body Control Module Connectors[*]Disconnect the instrument panel wire harness connector from the bottom of Body Control Module.[*]Disconnect the two forty pin connectors from the right of the steering column 40 Way Connectors Location[*]Remove the clinch bolt holding upper the steering shaft to the lower steering shaft 40 Way Connectors Location[*]Separate the upper steering shaft from the lower steering shaft.[*]Remove the nuts holding the instrument panel frame to the die-cast brake pedal support on each side of the steering column.[*]With mechanical transmission range indicator:[*]Remove the indicator cable loop.[*]Remove the clip holding gear shift cable end to the gear selector adapter.[*]Pull the cable end from gear selector.[*]Disconnect the clip for the indicator cable and guide tube from the shift cable bracket and move out of the way. [/ol][*]Remove the nut holding gear shift cable bracket to the instrument panel frame.[*]Remove the bracket from the instrument panel.[*]Remove the screw holding hood release handle to the instrument panel.[*]Remove the bolt holding the hood release handle to the instrument panel.[*]Position the hood release handle out of the way.[*]Remove the instrument panel top cover. Refer to Instrument Panel Top Cover Removal and Installation in this section.[*]Disconnect the wire connector from the HVAC wire harness behind the glove box area.[*]Remove the bolts holding the instrument panel frame to the brackets on cowl side panels Passenger Side Instrument Panel and Driver's Side instrument Panel[*]Loosen, but do not remove, the pivot bolts holding the instrument panel to the cowl panels.[*]If equipped with electric mirrors, remove the left and right side view mirrors. Refer to Body, Removal and Installation, Side View Mirrors. Push the A-pillar harness grommets inboard.[*]Remove the bolts holding the instrument panel frame to the dash panel below windshield opening.[*]With the help of an assistant remove the instrument panel from vehicle. [/ol] INSTALLATION For installation, reverse the above procedures.

HEATER A/C UNIT HOUSING REMOVAL WARNING: IF EQUIPPED WITH AIR CONDITIONING, THE REFRIGERATION SYSTEM MUST BE COMPLETELY EMPTY BEFORE PROCEEDING. [*]Set parking brake.[*]Disconnect battery negative cable.[*]Using a refrigerant recovery machine, remove refrigerant from the A/C system A/C Service Ports[*]Remove wiper module. Refer to Group 8K, Windshield Wipers and Washers.[*]Pinch off rear heater lines if equipped.[*]Drain engine coolant. Remove heater hoses at the heater core Heater Hoses Plug coolant lines.[*]Remove suction and liquid lines at the expansion valve Expansion Valve Plate[*]Remove the Instrument Panel Assembly. Refer to Group 8E, Instrument Panel and Gauges.[*]Remove heater ducts.[*]Disconnect the two upper mounts from the upper reinforcement and the lower mount from the tunnel.[*]Remove the (3) nuts (in the engine compartment) securing the unit to the dash panel HVAC Bolt-Up[*]Disconnect the HVAC housing wiring harness.[*]Pull the entire unit rearward until the studs on the unit clear the dash panel. Drop the unit down. Pull it rearward to remove it from vehicle. [/ol] INSTALLATION[*]For installation of the assembly, reverse the above procedures. Install new O-rings on plumbing inlets[*]Evacuate and recharge the A/C system.[*]Perform HVAC control Calibration Diagnostic and Cooldown test.[/ol]

Old 08-18-2007, 08:49 PM
joemack

WOW, I hope that was cut and past. Either way, I really appreciate the time. Thats really going to help.Thanks

Old 08-19-2007, 02:55 AM
Dodge Tech
Captain

welcome offer still stands if we can work some stuff out.

Old 08-19-2007, 07:48 AM
joemack

One more question. I priced the evap., exp valve and dryer at the dealer. High dollar stuff. I work at an Advance Auto Parts and can get the parts for a third of the cost of the dealer. I would like to stick with Mopar parts but for the price difference, its tuff. Do you think I will be OK with the Advance parts? Or would you recomend another source? Thanks

Old 08-19-2007, 10:18 AM
Dodge Tech
Captain

i have had some troubles with after market stuff some times hard to install wont fit rigth then some times no prob what so ever its a gamble.

Old 08-21-2007, 01:38 PM
joemack

It's me again. Got the evap. and drier (Mopar parts). Before installing them I know I need to put some AC oil in the system first. Is PAG 46 ok? How much should I put in and where? Any other tips? Thanks

Old 08-25-2007, 09:35 PM
Dodge Tech
Captain

The oil used in the compressor is ND8 PAG R134a
Put about 3 oz in and I install it when i charger the system back up but u dont have the machine to do that. add it into a line.

Quick Reply: Evaporator Replacement Help How To