Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Parking Brake Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 11:00 AM
dgforeman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking Brake Issue

I have a 2004 Dodge Minivan. I replaced the rear brake shoes( no ABS) at 100,000 kms and found that some of the parts that operate the emergency brake had rusted together. I freed them up but now I have no emergency brakes when I push the brake foot lever. It ratchets but will not hold the car in a fixed position. Am I correct in assuming this vehicle has self adjusting rear brakes? How do these work and what activates them to adjust? The adjusters are operable. I have adjusted the rear brakes manually but if I do any more clicks I hear the shoes rubbing on the drums.I did not have issues before I replaced the shoes. What should I do next?

Old 10-20-2010, 11:52 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Replace the park brake ratchet assy.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:33 AM
papaduck
Professional

I think that the rear brakes are adjusted by each setting of the park brake. Try holding the park brake release lever and pumping the park brake several times. This did work on my '04 Town & Country.

Last edited by papaduck; 11-13-2010 at 06:36 AM. Reason: correct errors
Old 12-06-2011, 12:02 PM
dorough

Originally Posted by dgforeman
I have a 2004 Dodge Minivan. I replaced the rear brake shoes( no ABS) at 100,000 kms and found that some of the parts that operate the emergency brake had rusted together. I freed them up but now I have no emergency brakes when I push the brake foot lever. It ratchets but will not hold the car in a fixed position. Am I correct in assuming this vehicle has self adjusting rear brakes? How do these work and what activates them to adjust? The adjusters are operable. I have adjusted the rear brakes manually but if I do any more clicks I hear the shoes rubbing on the drums.I did not have issues before I replaced the shoes. What should I do next?
Did you find out what the problem was?

Quick Reply: Parking Brake Issue