Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

1996 Caravan Transmission ... What's Up?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010 | 01:58 AM
worldguy
|
Default 1996 Caravan Transmission ... What's Up?

Ok, I need some advice. Before today, I knew a few things about transmissions. But, after reading all day long, I have a better handle oon things. However, I still need help!

I have a 1996 Caravan with 170k. I just noticed last night that it seemed to be a bit rough after starting. Though I know it doesn't need a tune up. It slipped a bit only from a few starts at intersections or from a stop.

I have no "check engine" light at all, no burnt smell from tranny fluid, no noise at all from tranny. Seems to be in limp mode, most of the time. Some times it shifts into third.

Would you guys say it is the Shift Solenoids? All four drivers in my house rely on this one vehicle. Please give me your input. Thank you!

Worldguy

Old 10-22-2010 | 09:16 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech

Welcome to DF
The ck engine lite doesn't always come on when the transmission does into limp in. But i would need some information from you. Engine size and the type of transmission you have. This way we have a starting point.

Old 10-27-2010 | 06:39 PM
worldguy
|
Default Other info

My van is a 1996 Dodge Caravan SE, 3.0 V6, 3 speed. I hope you can makes some comments based on this info. Could I also as you for some locations on the car related to various parts?

Where do I find:

1) The Transmission Control Solenoid?

2) the 5 amp relay that is related to the various solenoids?

3) The input and output sensors?

4) The Vehicle Speed Sensor?

My brother sent me these parts from California and I would like to put them in. However, I spent 6 hours today looking for the stinking locations of these on the car to no avail. I'm so frustrated.

Not like me to me so lame when it comes to cars. I obviously have NEVER dealt with transmission parts. The Internet hasn't even helped me find the location for these parts on my car.

Thanks for anything you can tell me!

Regards,

mark

Old 10-27-2010 | 06:52 PM
sapporo
Banned

1, no such part

2, not applicable

3, you don't have them

4. on the back of the transmission, it reads off the right hand axle shaft

Quick Reply: 1996 Caravan Transmission ... What's Up?