Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Heating Cooling Fan Control

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 10:55 PM
DodgeBalls
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeaaaaaaa, I did it. I saved money going to the shop. I love the power of internet and the people that help. Cost $11.99 plus tax and $2.99 for package of Female Electrical Connector to improvise the damage plug.

Question! Any reason why it was placed in the firewall and not cover up. Will it affect any thing if I cover it up to prevent from future moist damage?

Time to start new thread

Attached Images  
Old 12-11-2010, 08:22 AM
jumpdrive2
Rookie

It gets extremely hot when you have the blower going, I would not cover it and don't touch it to see how hot it gets it will burn you. If this one last another 14 years and cost you $15.00 I would say money well spent.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:51 PM
lrobinson
Default Blower was working on high but now totally gone

Originally Posted by Tizzy1
I can only guess at what year you have and I'll assume 2001 or newer since that is where most blower issues are. The reason the blower motor only works on high is because the blower resistor fails. I have posted numerous wiring diagrams on the forum somewhere, shouldn't be too hard to find. The blower resistor fails because the blower motor sits flat under the fresh air intake and gets water in it. After time, the bushings get corroded and it makes it tougher to get the blower motor going when you first turn it on. The large spike in amperage eventually causes the resistor to fail. Personally, I would replace the blower motor and the resistor, but if your the gambling type, you can install just a resistor and see how long it lasts. The resistor is located behind the glove box and is easily diagnosed with the aid of the wiring diagram.

Drops in fuel economy can be caused by many things, dirty air filter, worn spark plugs, colder weather, etc. Depending on the mileage, you may be due for some maintenance.
Hi Tizzy,

I have read your useful tips. My problem is my blower fan used to work on high ONLY but now it has STOPPED TOTALLY. Is it that I not only need a resistor but a new blower / blower motor also? Would greatly appreciate your answer on this.

Old 12-13-2010, 04:31 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What year do you have? Most likely, what ever year you have, I would recommend a resistor and a blower motor but I've had to do so many over again, I just know why they blow. But sometimes you can just replace the resistor and get another year or two before the blower gets bad enough to blow the resistor as soon as you turn it on. If you just have manual temp control, the resistor is pretty resonable and you can replace it and see how long it lasts. The one you have now has in some ways already failed twice so not a good sign.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:36 AM
lrobinson
Default Heater

Hi Tizzy,

I got my heater fixed. Thanks. I had to replace the resistor and the blower.
However, I have noticed another problem. The fan has 5 Levels and it now works on all levels except level 4. What do you suppose is happening there? Many thanks again for your response.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:39 AM
DodgeBalls
Amateur

Something is not right. That's how mine is. The 4th one was not working until one day none of them works. You might want to recheck the resistor.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:39 AM
jumpdrive2
Rookie

check your wire harness were it plugs into the resistor to see if any corrosion

Old 12-15-2010, 01:31 PM
Tizzy1
Champion

Ok, here's a wiring diagram for an '03 system. If you turn the blower motor to the off position and check all the terminals at the resistor, you should show power to all of them. If one does not, it is either a resistor or a connection issue.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:06 PM
DodgeBalls
Amateur
Default resistor or blower?

I think I have the same problem with my other car. Sorry it's a ford/mercury. When turn on, I can here the air coming on and feel little cool. I check the resistor and it's not broken nor burned. Now, can I bypass the resistor just to tell if the fan is working? Atleast with my Caravan it was working only on high speed. This one is either not working or just on low.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:45 AM
Tizzy1
Champion

If it's wired like a mopar, the motor is supplied with power and the resistor is on the ground side. All you have to do is ground the motor to get high speed and see if it works.

Quick Reply: Heating Cooling Fan Control