Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

96 Caravan 604 issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 05:57 PM
mgriffizl39
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Caravan 604 issues

i have a 96 caravan with 125K

it shifts hard from first to 2nd and then goes into neutral when the wheel speed is higher than the rpms

I replaced the speed sensors, both of them. and then it kicked on the ses light

i went to have it scanned and i get no communication the guy scanned one side and it pulled up a fan relay 1491. My fuse keeps blowing telling me there is a short. but we could not get the tranny computer to talk to us

i have been told that a bad temp sensor would cause this issue (the Odb not communicating)

I have a few questions

Also, My ABS light is on.

Why would the ODB not be able to communicate with the computer? (ive been told it may be fuse related, but i have no idea what fuse.. i was told something like DLR fuse but cannot find it.)

Also, Where is the damn ground strap attchechd to on the bell housing?? ive checked all around the bell house and by the starter but am unable to locate it.

Thanks

Old 12-03-2010, 08:56 PM
sapporo
Banned

first thing is a 1-2 then neutral no 3rd is mostly caused by a broken planetary part.

communications issue. what kind of scanner was being used? was it really a scanner of some code reader? them crappy cheapo autozone code readers can't read trans, abs, or anything but P-codes from the engine computer

there's NO such fuse as a DLR which is probably why you can't find it.

the is no "DAMN" ground strap on the trans-bell housing-starter at all. follow the wire from the battery and you'll see where it's at.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:46 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
You maybe talking about DLC that under the dash. Your van is an OBD2 system. If the scanner is not powering up, then you need to find out why.The transmission has gone into limp in. The common cause of loosing 3rd gear is a broken hub with shaft, which is inside the transmission.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:54 PM
sapporo
Banned

notice he said that a code of 1491 came up about the fan relay, which is a PCM code. so it seems the a code reader is working.. I still suspect that the scanner is just a $40 code reader you can get a walmart.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:20 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

There is a recall for the fan relay. He should have had a code P0700 too.You are right, they are using a code reader. Should have the van scanned by someone that either has a DRB3 or a scanner to read all of the modules.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:49 PM
mgriffizl39

Ok, so after posting i went in and cleaned up battery corrosion.
Wires under the batter holder block harnesses were corroded.
i suspect that may be why it coulden't read form the TMC

it would pull from the PCM but not the TMC

It was not a cheap tester its was a top end Snapon tester on a windows tablet with a keyset

I pulled the solenoid pack cleaned the connection which was dirty as hell also cleaned the nets with breakklean.

Ocassionaly i will shift into 3rd gear. most of the time i wont. Since i tore it apart and reset the codes i didnt get a SES light untill my fuse for my Rad Fan Blew. Which im going to go out on a limb and say its just another 1491

one thing i have not done is been able to change the fluid and replace the gaskets and filter set.
Thats next, i just have not had a container to put my tranny fluid in and im waiting on cash.

i spent 40 bucks to get this guy to run codes to come up with nothing. hopefully if i go back tomorrow he will do it without charging me again.

Now, about the ground strap. ive been told by SEVERAL people that there is a ground strap located on one of the bell housing bolts. which networks from the block etc.

Why are you being a wise *** and saying there is no "Damn" ground strap?

What does this thread say to you?
Automotive Forum About Chrysler 604's

It seems like ive seen reference to a ground strap from master as well in another thread.

If it is planetary gears then i should know when i drop the pan right? there should be chunks of the Planataries sitting in the bottom of the pan no?

Then i will need to rebuild it correct?

Do i need any special tools to rebuild it? What does it require? It doesnt require an oven does it?

Thanks for your help so far.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:11 AM
sapporo
Banned

Originally Posted by mgriffizl39

Also, Where is the damn ground strap attchechd to on the bell housing?? ive checked all around the bell house and by the starter but am unable to locate it.

Thanks

because when you say "where is the damn ground strap ATTACHED to on the bell housing??" I answered your question that is IS NOT ATTACHED TO THE "DAMN" BELL HOUSING!!!! and the SEVERAL people that told you it's on the bell housing are complete idiots!!!

if you come on here swearing and acting in a hissy fit you'll get the same attitude back. YOU didn't give enough information about what kind of scanner was used. and based on the way you come across, I can understand why the guy with the scanner couldn't find anything. Oh and cussing at someone greatly reduces any credibility.

and your story has changed on the trans. you stated it has 1-2 then neutral now you say occasionally shifts to 3rd. well when you don't give an accurate story or change you story, it's impossible to help or want to help.

go in your kitchen and find a roasting pan, you now have a container to drain your transmission.

It isn't worth my time reading through all the bs in the link. you need to get the TCM (not TMC) information.

I own 7 snapon scanners (4 mt2500, Solus, Ethos, Modis). which model did this guy have, because your description doesn't resemble any that I've seen, and I've been to Snap-on scanner training for every model that's been released.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:45 AM
mgriffizl39

Ok, it was a Verus With keyset. meaning they had about 30 different greenboard keys they plugged into the cord pertaining to which vehicle your trying to scan.

Sorry i took offence to the way you responded. im here to get help not hassled. and in my opinion you could have went about telling me there is no ground strap connected to the bell housing.

Now, That artical that i posted was talking about a wire splice point that needed to be cleaned and a ground strap that needed replacing. someone with the same EXACT situation that i have posted.

Which ground strap would that be pointing reference to?

Also, My story isnt changing. Im doing work to the van and then going out trying to manualy quick learn the tranny, and getting different reactions.

Old 12-04-2010, 01:17 AM
sapporo
Banned

i have a 96 caravan with 125K

it shifts hard from first to 2nd and then goes into neutral when the wheel speed is higher than the rpms

I replaced the speed sensors, both of them. and then it kicked on the ses light

i have been told that a bad temp sensor would cause this issue (the Odb not communicating)

I have a few questions

Also, My ABS light is on.

Why would the ODB not be able to communicate with the computer? (ive been told it may be fuse related, but i have no idea what fuse.. i was told something like DLR fuse but cannot find it.)

Thanks

Ocassionaly i will shift into 3rd gear. most of the time i wont.

Also, My story isnt changing. Im doing work to the van and then going out trying to manualy quick learn the tranny, and getting different reactions.

ALL Snap-on Scanners use personality keys on all OBDII vehicles. for example, Ford uses K2A, GM none required, Chrysler K13. Sure sounds like you need to just get your own scanner then you can get it figured out without depending on someone else to screw you over some more.

Why am I giving you a hard time... it's your statement "Also, Where is the damn ground strap attchechd to on the bell housing?" which I stated there is NO DAMN ground on the trans. That article has so much BS in it and it's obvious the originator has no mechanical background or knowledge of how things work. There are many inconsistent statements and totally ludicrous technical advice

Old 12-04-2010, 03:40 AM
mgriffizl39

Sapporo, either stop dwelling on my mistakes or stop posting in my thread. i dont need your bs.
The I's in the sentences that i last posted should be IT Not I. i am not physically putting it in 3rd gear.

I was on the guys shoulder while he was running the codes. he used a K20 and something else, i THINK it was a K19

One of them worked and one didn't.

I just want to know the damn facts and get my van up and running all this pre-teen drama bull **** is un-needed and your wasting your own time.

I would appreciate advice from someone who doesnt have a worlds best Transmission mechanic T-shirt that they wear every day.
__________________________________________________ _____

i have a 604 it doesnt like shifting into 3rd but it does ocassionaly.

its a hard shift fro 1st to 2nd

So far i have cleaned the Solenoid pack connection

Cleaned the Solenoid with breakklean

Replaced the input and output speed sensors

and cleaned up the wiring harnesses located under the battery terminal.

I had it scanned but the TCM would not communicate with the scanner but the ECM would. so i only got a 1491 because my fan fuse was blown. so i could not talk to the relay.

Any suggestions?

If i need to rebuild it do i need any special tools? im going to rebuild it myself if it has to be done.

604's are notorious for Solenoid pack wiring issues, in my opinion this is a electrical issue but i will not know until i get time to change fluids and see if there is metal in my pan.

Any information, or help would be greatly appreciated.

No Flaming in this thread.
Thanks.

Quick Reply: 96 Caravan 604 issues