Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Bubbles in Engine Oil 2010 Grand Caravan SE

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 03:41 PM
Marcus71
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bubbles in Engine Oil 2010 Grand Caravan SE

I have a new 2010 Grand Caravan 3.3L engine with a little over 6200 kms on it. Engine runs and feels fine, but last weekend and again this morning, I pulled the dipstick to check the oil after driving and there were bubbles on it (oil isn't over or underfilled). I know this is usually a sign of moisture or coolant getting into the engine, but this is brand new and I changed the oil about 2,000 kms ago. Anyone have any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks in advance and Happy Holidays everyone!!!

Old 12-25-2010, 07:37 PM
DAKOTAJIM
Professional

This is what warrenties are for take it back to the dealer and voice your concerns. After all you just paid a lot of money for your new truck and they are obligated to fix it.

Old 12-26-2010, 01:02 PM
lovvorn
Banned
Default Oil !!!

Hi , I've been riding Big Harleys for a long time & the crude oil runs about 250-300 deg. in the summertime . Crude oil boils @ 185 deg. causing foam an bubbles " cavitation " or simply break down !!! I run 20-50 synthetic oil in my Harley because of the crude oil boil problems as synthetic does not boil till 400 deg. I also bought a new 2010 3.3 dodge caravan last summer . It was 68 miles from the dealer to my home . I pulled up on my drive on ramps an drained the new crude oil & an refilled with Walmart 100% synthetic oil @ 68 miles on my engine . the little lifter tick went away in a few minutes . there is no foam or bubbles due to over heating of the crude . I like my 3.3 engine as it runs like my old Road Runner I bought new back in 1968 . It really turns it on up the ramps to the freeways . My thoughts Lovvorn

Old 12-27-2010, 09:20 PM
Marcus71
Amateur

Thanks DAKOTAJIM and lovvorn, I'll be visiting the dealer once the holidays are over. As for the oil, I'm running 5w20 synthetic on it, so I highly doubt that it's boiling over, especially in the winter.

Before I took the van out today, I pulled the dipstick before starting it and there were no bubbles, but after getting home, I pulled it out again and there are bubbles again.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Old 12-28-2010, 12:33 AM
hemi4spd
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if its moisture or coolant oil will look milky or creamy

bubbles can be caused by the crank/rods splashing through the oil

are you driving this a little spirited? take corners a little fast?
or doing anything that may cause the oil to touch the rotating assy?

Old 12-28-2010, 06:57 PM
Marcus71
Amateur

Thanks for the advice hemi4spd. The good news is that the oil does'nt look milky or creamy, it actually looks pretty good still. I don't consider myself to he spirited or heavy footed.

Is there anything else that can cause the bubbling?

Old 12-29-2010, 11:54 PM
hemi4spd
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe defective oil (maybey they forgot the anti foaming aditives) it is synthetic after all therefore man made

Old 01-08-2011, 06:57 PM
Marcus71
Amateur

i brough my van into the dealer on tuesday and showed them the bubbles on the dip stick, and they told me that it could be moisture from the cold weather we've been experiencing combined with the heat of the engine but it should go away once the engine warms up. I told them that it's been happening for about a month now and i saw the bubbles even in the warmer weather and i normally drive long enough to warm the the thing up (at least a half hour each way to work). so they tested the pressure and looked at the coolant resevior and everything came back fine. To my surprised they then offered to drain the oil (including a new filter) free of charge. They told me that the tech drained the oil into a clear container and couldn't see any coolant/water in it and the oil still looked fresh. Anyways, i checked the dipstick again today, and sadly i still see a few bubbles. Any ideas what's up before i head back to the dealer?

Old 01-25-2011, 08:20 AM
maverick06

I would give it a good run (30 min or more) to heat it up and get the water out. If that doesnt resolve it, change the oil. If that doesnt resolve it, change the oil again, if its still there after that flush, you must have something wrong.

Quick Reply: Bubbles in Engine Oil 2010 Grand Caravan SE