Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan Issues List with Resolutions

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 08:38 AM
hisbeauty4ashes
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Miragman thanks yes it shudders at the 40 MPH and 65 MPH Mark. It shudders. However it does it never gets worse it stays the same. It messes up my tires. I took it in once to this shop and they said oh we know what that is and he said it had to do with the timing belt so he did something and it majorly helped it. I took it back into Him because the problem came back and he could not remember what he did. HA HA you said it he must of did something with the shaft chain. Now I need to see how much it will cost to now hat you are saying.Thanks for sharing this with me I will look into it.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:32 AM
mirageman
Professional

No no, be careful, don't spend money just yet. a broken balance shaft chain will not shudder at 40 or 65. It will shudder when you are in park. if you don't have any shudder in park, then it is not the balance shaft chain. Do you have a 4 speed transmission? there could be 1 of 2 things wrong. If you shudder at 45 and 65, that sounds like your tires are out of balance. TRY THIS: on a level road, go up to 45 when the shudder starts, then release the gas pedal. if the shudder is still there, very carefully put it in neutral. if the shudder is still there in neutral, it is your tires. If the shudder goes away when you release the gas or put it in neutral, then it is your engine or transmission. You can shift back into drive while moving, you don't have to stop. try it several times if you are not sure. Best would be doing this on a downhill so you don't lose speed. You do not have to shut it off and you do not have to stop to shift from drive to neutral and back to drive. Remember, if the shudder stays after putting it in neutral at 40-45 mph, then it is your tires. If the shudder disappears after releasing the gas or putting it in neutral at 40-45, then it is most likely your torque converter, which means you must change your transmission fluid because chrysler needs a certain type of fluid to work right with their torque converters. Please tell me what year, engine and transmission you have. If you have the 4 speed transmission, the shudder at 40 might be when the torque converter tries to lock in 3rd gear, and the 65 may be when the torque converter tries to lock in overdrive. Either way, do the neutral test first. good luck.

Last edited by mirageman; 06-29-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:15 AM
hisbeauty4ashes
Amateur

Hi I can tell you right now it has nothing to do with the tires. I have had this problem since 2004. I have had a few new tires since then and, I know what that kind of shutter sounds like. I believe it is the transmission. It is when I put my foot on the gas it begins to shutter at 40 miles an hour then again around 70. You see it is when ever I hit the gas.When I had the tork converter fixed it still did the same thing as it did before it was fixed. I spent over a thousand dollars fixing it. So noting has helped even changing the fluid. It has been a mystery to all of the mechanic's I have taken it to.

Take care and thanks

Old 08-25-2012, 11:06 PM
Dannear

Can any body tell me how to replace front blower relay for a 96 caravan se

Old 08-25-2012, 11:37 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

BLOWER MOTOR RESISTOR BLOCK
REMOVAL
Open hood.
Locate and remove the wire connector from the blower resistor block. Block is located at the back of the engine compartment on the passenger side of the vehicle under the wiper module Resistor Block Removal
NOTE: It is not necessary to remove the wiper module to access the resistor block.

WARNING: The resistor block may be hot. Do not attempt to service the resistor block if the system has been running recently. Let the system cool down before repairs are initiated.

Remove resistor block by inserting a flat blade pry tool on the side of the resistor block and pushing inward. Two guide lines are shown on the right hand edge of the resistor block to help guide the blade position. This will release the clips on the side of the resistor block. Pull resistor block out.
INSTALLATION
For installation, reverse the above procedures. Make sure the "TOP" lettering is on the top of the resistor. The coils on the Resistor Block should not be contacting one another. Before installation, gently separate the coils (with fingers only) if one coil is contacting another.

Quick Reply: 1996 Dodge Grand Caravan Issues List with Resolutions