Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

41TE - Fluid leak at solenoid pack

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 12:20 AM
06powerstroke
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 41TE - Fluid leak at solenoid pack

We have a 2001 Caravan Sport 3.3L w/41TE transmission. The transmission has 230,000 miles and has never been built. Last week, it began leaking transmission fluid from the solenoid pack area (almost a small stream when running). I cleaned the area with brake parts cleaner, started the engine again, and could see the fluid running out from around the base of the solenoid pack. The wiring socket was also full of fluid. I assummed that the base gasket was leaking. With this many miles on it, I figured it wouldn't hurt to replace the whole pack with an updated one when replacing the gasket. I bought a new in-the-box (I'm sure it is remanufactured) updated BorgWarner solenoid pack. I removed the old one, cleaned the old gasket and surrounding area, and installed the new pack. Because of the gasket design with many ports, I assumed this gasket is to be installed dry, which I did. Maybe I was wrong? I made sure the gasket stayed in place and torqued it down evenly, working back and forth across all three bolts. I plugged the connector in, started the engine, and about 2 minutes later the stream of fluid began running out from the new solenoid pack base. Since it was parked slightly uphill, the valley behind the pack had a standing puddle of fluid.

Did I screw up by installing the gasket dry? Could I have an internal trans issue that is creating so much pressure that it is blowing by the solenoid pack base gasket? I looked for cracks in the area while the pack was off, and didn't see any. I should probably have it towed to a transmission shop at this point, but with 230,000 miles on it, I'll be told it is way overdue for a rebuild and that will be the beginning and the end of the diagnostics (went through a smiliar thing with my Grand Cherokee a few years back).

Other than this, we've had no problems with it...no harsh shifting, delayed engagements, or flare-ups during shifting. It has been trouble-free until now. I did change the transmission filter and fluid (ATF4), and found what I consider to be a normal amount of sludge on the magnet.

Thanks in advance,
Phillip

Old 01-08-2011, 12:57 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Welcome to DF
The transmission cooler lines could be leaking. Try tighten the clamps.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:16 AM
06powerstroke

Thanks. I just checked both lines and the input speed sensor again. Everything is bone dry, except the area around the base of the solenoid pack. The connection port being wet before led me to originally believe the fluid was coming from an area above. But when I cleaned everything on the original unit, I put rtv around the connector to make sure nothing could get back down in there. When I removed the original unit yesterday, it had fluid in the connector again, as if something had forced it back in there from the inside.

When I started it again this morning, the mild flow of fluid was there again. When I starting going through the gear selection and giving it a little throttle in each gear, the loss of fluid got much worse. At that point, I these picutures.

I'm going to pull it off once more. I'll post a picture of the mounting base without the pack in about an hour.

Attached Thumbnails 41TE - Fluid leak at solenoid pack-img_1462.jpg   41TE - Fluid leak at solenoid pack-img_1465.jpg   41TE - Fluid leak at solenoid pack-img_1467.jpg  

Last edited by 06powerstroke; 01-08-2011 at 11:20 AM.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:39 AM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

ive reads that the solinoid pack gaskets leaking so could try replacing them. some have 2 and most now is 1.

Old 01-08-2011, 04:46 PM
06powerstroke

Update...I wish I could think of something better to put here because I feel like an idiot. It was the gasket. When I pulled it off again this morning, I found the rear passenger side corner folder under a bit. This gasket had apparently been mated to the unit during packaging, but seperated during shipment and had been pinched by one of the metal dowels. I was carefull with that corner during installation because it had a soft spot, but even though I thought it stayed in place, it didn't. I went to the nearest Dodge dealer and picked up a new gasket. After washing it off and driving for about 15 minutes, it is still dry. Maybe the base gasket was the same problem with the old unit, but there was trans fluid on the entire bell housing, which is why I thought it was coming from more than one place. At least I have the updated unit now along with a new gasket, for under $105.

Thanks again for the advice. Had one of you said it could be something internal, I wouldn't have pulled the unit to check the gasket again.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:00 PM
9652dakota
Veteran

replace the sol pack (they warp with age and heat and they have been updated) clean with contact cleaner stuff some dielectric grease in there and call er done. common prob nothing to worry about. doesn't mean trans is scrapped.

funny as i finished typing this i looked up and saw you fixed it DOH

Quick Reply: 41TE - Fluid leak at solenoid pack