Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

dead injector

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011 | 09:15 PM
rtmorehead
|
Default dead injector

I have a 2001 grand Caravan with a 3.3
The injector on the #1 cy is dead, I determined this by pulling the fuel rail and injectors out and cranked engine over so to visually see that its not working.
went to town and got new injector and plugged it in but still dose not work.

What else could cause this ?
Wiring harnes ?
pcm ?

FYI, When cranking engine with injectors out, one should disconnect coils so the spark plugs don't fire. Learned this the hard way, luck to still have a car !

Old 01-14-2011 | 09:31 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech

Welcome to DF
Try opening up the wire harness on the rear head next to the power steering reservoir. Sometimes the wires get soaked with oil and starts short to other wires.

Old 01-15-2011 | 12:38 PM
rtmorehead
|

Thanks for the help. opened up wiring harness and almost all the wires are bare, amazing the thing even ran !
Now, where can one get a new harness ?

Old 01-15-2011 | 01:32 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech

You can try to find an old harness and cut the wires you need and repair the ones that need to be replaced. Also replace them one at a time.

Old 01-16-2011 | 02:17 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech

Most of the time you can just separate them, remove the terminals from the connector and heat shrink over each one. This is if they are not damaged. I do this sometimes when the customer is short on cash. If it was mine I would go find an injector harness from a junker. The last one I did, the guy came back a week later with a dead #6 injector driver in the PCM. Not because of the repair but they drove it a while with a shorted injector ground. (in that harness) Even though it does run, be careful about driving or running it until you get it fixed.

Last edited by TNtech; 01-16-2011 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-24-2011 | 08:08 PM
rtmorehead
|

I've got the wiring harness back togeather. did continuity test on all wires to make sure they all work. Hooked it back up to the car and checked each injector plug with a test light. I still have nothing at the #1 injector.
I am assuming that its in the computer.

Any idea's ?

Old 01-24-2011 | 09:49 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech

I going to say, i believe you are right. If the wires have continuity and are not an open circuit. Have you ck the wires from the PCM to the connector before the injector harness?

Old 02-07-2011 | 09:18 PM
rtmorehead
|

I got the new "rebuilt" computer, got everything back together . When I started it , it did'nt want to run very good, kept cutting out, and would'nt idle .
A friend told me that when he took injectors out and put them back in he had to drive the car real hard for awaile to get them cleared out. So I drove the car down the road and after a few miles it seemed to run better, but when I slowed down and re-accelerated it would start cutting out till I got it back to speed (60) . In the garage
it idles better but when you accelerate it cuts out .
I'm not sure if I just need to drive it some more or if there is something else wrong.
Any suggestions?

Old 02-07-2011 | 09:22 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech

Does the injector work now? The van may have fouled plugs and may need to be cleaned or replace. And the converter maybe also loaded with raw fuel too.

Old 02-08-2011 | 01:00 PM
rtmorehead
|

yes the injectors are working and I cleaned and gaped the plugs when I put them back in. I also wondered about the converter.

Quick Reply: dead injector