Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

03 grand caravan a/t 3.3 codes

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 08:22 PM
substation
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 grand caravan a/t 3.3 codes

I have codes 700, 732, 733. Trans downshifts hard in one gear. Can anyone tell me where to start trouble shooting, or at least a heads up before I take it to a shop?
Thanks Much

Old 01-20-2011, 08:46 PM
22DODGE22
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

P0732 CHRYSLER Description
This diagnosis monitors actual gear position by checking the torque converter slip ratio calculated by Transmission Control Module (TCM) as follows:

Torque converter slip ratio = A x C/B

A: Output shaft revolution signal from revolution sensor
B: Engine speed signal from Engine Control Module (ECM)
C: Gear ratio determined as gear position which TCM supposes

If the actual gear position is higher than the position (2nd) supposed by TCM, the slip ratio will be more than normal. In case the ratio exceeds the specified value, TCM judges this diagnosis malfunction.
Symptoms
- Engine Light ON(or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
- Incorrect transmission shifting
Possible causes
- Low transmission fluid level
- Dirty transmission fluid
- Shift solenoids
- Transmission mechanical problems
- Transmission hydraulic control circuit
When is the code detected?
The ECM has detected that the transmission input RPM does not match the transmission output RPM under known conditions
Tech notes
Start by inspecting the transmission fluid level and condition, and change fluid if necessary.

P0733 CHRYSLER

P0733 CHRYSLER - Gear Ratio Error In Third Gear

P0733 CHRYSLER Description
This diagnosis monitors actual gear position by checking the torque converter slip ratio calculated by Transmission Control Module (TCM) as follows:

Torque converter slip ratio = A x C/B

A: Output shaft revolution signal from revolution sensor
B: Engine speed signal from Engine Control Module (ECM)
C: Gear ratio determined as gear position which TCM supposes

If the actual gear position is higher than the position (3rd) supposed by TCM, the slip ratio will be more than normal. In case the ratio exceeds the specified value, TCM judges this diagnosis malfunction.
Symptoms
- Engine Light ON(or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
- Incorrect transmission shifting
Possible causes
- Low transmission fluid level
- Dirty transmission fluid
- Shift solenoids
- Transmission mechanical problems
- Transmission hydraulic control circuit
When is the code detected?
The ECM has detected that the transmission input RPM does not match the transmission output RPM under known conditions
Tech notes
Start by inspecting the transmission fluid level and condition, and change fluid if necessary.

Last edited by lghtngblt02; 01-22-2011 at 03:14 PM. Reason: No Links
Old 01-23-2011, 10:55 AM
vman858
Amateur

On any problem with these transmission make sure fluid is clean as possible... flush,flush,flush. Then replace the input and output speed sensors. Look at both the problems, they both use revolution sensor. The TCM uses input speed and output speed senor for just about everything. I think allot of transmission are being rebuilt unnecessarily. If the trans works intermittently you got a good chance of electronic problem. i/p, o/p sensor solenoid pack. Solenoid pack gets corroded...flush may help this. I had one trans I had rebuilt at 250k and is snapped and would not move a inch. Other than that, replacing input and output sensor have always produced good results.
I am on my fifth van all with over 200k.

Just my 2 cents
Vince

Old 01-23-2011, 11:31 AM
22DODGE22
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I, personally, am not a proponent of replacing parts unless it is verified that said part has indeed failed. Output speed sensor failure would be indicated with no speedometer reading. I can't see how a solenoid pack would get corroded internally when it's submerged in transmission fluid. Maybe the connector could corrode. From what I've read over and over on this board, when it comes to diagnosis of transmission issues the best and really only method to figure out what is wrong is with a scan tool of some type. I'm surprised that Master Tech hasn't contributed to this posting with his Chrysler transmission expertise, he'd be the utmost authority on these transmission issues.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:41 PM
bjr1a
Professional

generally this will be found as an internal failure, by removing the output speed sensor you will find contaminates on the end of the sensor......However if it is clean it may be worth doing a little more diagnostics..

Brian

Old 01-23-2011, 02:14 PM
vman858
Amateur

Originally Posted by 22DODGE22
I, personally, am not a proponent of replacing parts unless it is verified that said part has indeed failed. Output speed sensor failure would be indicated with no speedometer reading. I can't see how a solenoid pack would get corroded internally when it's submerged in transmission fluid. Maybe the connector could corrode. From what I've read over and over on this board, when it comes to diagnosis of transmission issues the best and really only method to figure out what is wrong is with a scan tool of some type. I'm surprised that Master Tech hasn't contributed to this posting with his Chrysler transmission expertise, he'd be the utmost authority on these transmission issues.
Normally I am not either. But my last visit to dealer concerning my lift hatch I was informed "they just replace the motor, latch and bcm and this normally correct problem." I'm thinking yea I can throw money at it and I'm going to let you diagnose my transmission next...NOT. But replacing sensor is almost preventative maintenance and isn't too much work.

I also don't see how a solenoid pack can corrode but have heard people say this is what the tech told them. Connector make the most sense. I could also see it getting gummed up with old fluid.

Not sure if speedo uses this or something else. If you are 100% on this that would be good info.

My point was that I have solved a few problems doing this and if you pay 100.00 to scan it you will be told what the problem is, but normally the repair is "it needs a rebuild". Which I see as just a catch all. Master tech gives some good advice, no doubt. I think his flush procedure is some of the best.

I currently have a 2004 and am a bit alarmed at the trans problems. I thought they had made improvements on this.
Thanks,
Vince

Old 01-23-2011, 02:36 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Substation
Here is what i would do. First ck the fluid level, condition of the fluid.Then ck for any stored codes,which you already have. Next ck CVI's and then perfrom a clutch test. And then do a shift lever test. Then road test with a scanner and look at all my speed sensors and see how the transmission shifts. After i have done all of these, then i would ck for TSB and flash updates for the controllers.

Quick Reply: 03 grand caravan a/t 3.3 codes