Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

am i screwed or what?..awd t case noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 08:28 PM
bigtbiker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default am i screwed or what?..awd t case noise

my shop just informed me that my 1997 awd has a transfer case issue...
it makes a noise like al old fashoned u joint going bad...varies with accl/decel.
could it be the cv joint in the center prop shaft near the end of the trans case?...can this vehicle be driven WITHOUT the center propshaft installed, in front drive only? can the awd trans/transfer case be replaced with a two wheel drive trans. converting it to a front drive only?....stuck between a rock and a hard place...180066 miles, zero rust, and runs like new...thanks for your help...BigTbiker

Old 03-08-2011, 09:02 PM
22DODGE22
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes to all your questions. any of those options will work.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:46 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

I 2nd the yes. In fact you can disconnect the center drive line at the transfer box and road test the van, This way you will be able to notice if the noise is gone or still there.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:23 PM
bigtbiker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

heres the poop...transfer case was run dry and the ring and pinion in it ground them selves to death...why?..some dumb *** put atf in the case instead of 90 weight gear oil and it boiled out the vent.
also the shop that put the new front axels in were sent the wrong axel and it had too much of a shoulder to properly fit the t case..so they doubled up on the seals...it only cost me 927.56 to find all this out...T

Quick Reply: am i screwed or what?..awd t case noise