Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Your thoughts on remanufactured transmissions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 02:12 AM
EEIT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your thoughts on remanufactured transmissions.

For those of you who have gone through a transmission problems, I was wondering if you could help me go in the right direction with the problem I have now.

-Has anyone done a transmission rebuilt on their car? Any problems afterward? How many more miles were you able to put on so far after the operation? Is it worth the couple of thousand dollars to do this?

-What about those of you who swapped it with a remanufactured transmission? Any issues after doing the swap? Worth the money? How many more miles were you able to put on so far after the operation? I only know of Jasper, but are there any other companies that might be as good or better?

Here's my story (you can skip this part if you want)
2002 Dodge Caravan SE
3.3L V6 Flex-Fuel
4-Speed Automatic Transmission: A604
FWD
180K miles
Note: Well maintained, original owner. Performed regular engine oil and filter changes, air filter changes, and about 4-5 transmission flush services (including filter & gasket changes) over 9 year period.

I recently started to have transmission issues. I would have a delay gear shift for about 2 seconds when I put the shifter into a DRIVE position. When the shift finally occurs, I would get a very strong force feedback from the transmission. When the van is "cold," it does this twice within a second. After it warms up however, it only does once and is less noticeable. No other gear shift positions have problems like this. Because of this issue I don't drive this van at all right now, which allowed me to also notice some fluid leak around the transmission pan gasket. On the road, the van drives perfectly fine; no noise or vibration of any kind. I also do not have a CHECK ENGINE light on.

So I took it to several transmission shops to get it checked out.
  1. My first choice was to take it to local AAMCO since that's where I do transmission flush. They did their regular sale pitch tactic, and got me into do their free external diagnostics (road test, computer scan, and fluid check). They showed me several fault codes that have been set (there were several codes so i don't remember on top of my head which except one, speed sensor). They didn't seem to know exactly what was wrong with the transmission except they told me it probably was an internal issue. They offered to open up the transmission for $650 to check it out. They also offered their reseal service for $1100 that replaces all the seals on the transmission. They also said they would waive $650 if I purchased the reseal service. Any problems they find during internal inspection they will charge me for the parts and labor to fix it. I declined since first of all they did not quote me on how much it will cost to fix the actual problem and I wasn't going to pay $650 just to do that, neither the reseal service for $1100. I told them I didn't have enough money to do it so they offer to give me payment plan, but would put a lien on the van until it's paid for, which I declined also.
  2. So, I needed another service advice and took the van to a different local AAMCO shop. Never been here before. They told me the same thing as the first AAMCO shop. So lesson learned, it was a wast of time.
  3. This time I took it to a place called American Transmission Center. Never been here before either. They did the same external inspection (road test, fluid check, and computer scan). This time I did get more detailed analysis from them. The did tell me some fault codes similar to ones I've been told by AAMCO service advisers, but they also told me that my transmission type was A604, I have a gear ratio problem, and front engine mounts are bad. They offered me a complete transmission rebuilding service for around $1700 - $2300 with free 12 month/12,000 mile warranty. They said they have only one person who does all the transmission rebuilding. So I'm some what assured that this technician does good work due to his experience. They also quoted me $200 for replacing the engine mounts. They said bad engine mounts could affect the transmission's life, but I'm not too familiar with that so I wasn't ready believe that. I declined any service, and went home with the service quote. Kinda disappointed that they didn't write down the fault codes for me.
Now I've been reading Jasper's website about their remanufactured transmissions since I knew of their existence for some time now. I watched their video, and they seemed to make me feel good about their product. But still I wanted to hear from people who've actually bought and used their transmissions. I looked on their site and found the price for the remanufactured transmission for my van. It costs $2048 for the transmission, $800 core charge (which I assume I'll get refunded when they get my bad unit), $100 Skid Charge (whatever that is), $152 Transmission Cooler Kit, $165 Premium Service Plan, and probably an installation labor charge. I feel pretty good about their product, but I know there are other remanufacturers, but don't know as well. I'll be doing some more research, but I would really appreciate any pointers.

BTW, thanks for reading all this way.

Last edited by EEIT; 03-12-2011 at 02:19 AM.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:27 AM
22DODGE22
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO I would find a low miles used trans and go that route. You can do this for under $500

My mom's car had rebuilt transmission go over 100,000 miles and still going installed 9 year later. No problems.

I hear a lot of horror stories about people having a transmission rebuilt and nothing but problems (just on this board in the past week).

3. There is NO way an engine mount will have any affect on transmission life!!!!!!!!!! That tells me they really want to screw you. And there is no such thing as a "free" 12/12k warranty. You're paying for that warranty you just don't know it. See the actual cost to do a complete transmission rebuild on your van including installation @ a shop rate of $100/hr is under $1000. So they double the actual price to give you a 'free' warranty.

Many reman transmissions will not honnor a warranty on a self installed job. Because if there's any chance you don't know what you are doing, they can always blame you for any problems. I watched this happen several times.

I'd never get a Jasper reman. You would be a lot better off finding a nice quality transmission shop (ask around, word of mouth, etc). Having a local guy do the work, if you have a problem, you'll have a lot better chance of getting customer service. But again, I'd just get a used one myself probably because I'm a typical Dodge owner that doesn't have 2 nickels to rub together.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:47 AM
mfahey
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When the transmission went out for the second time on our old Caravan, I debated the question of rebuild vs. reman. I had a local mechanic do the rebuild and it was still going strong after 70,000 miles before we scrapped the van. It was a little cheaper going that route but not by much.
The first time the transmission died, it only had 15,000 miles on it and the dealer rebuilt it. That lasted 125,000 miles before one of the hard parts gave out on it which I didn't take to have been an issue with the rebuild.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:18 AM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Have you tried to call the dealership yet?
it should probably be the same price from the trans shop, and they usually waranty their work for 1yr/12k. Look for 10% coupon from them online, or just Ask them to lower the price to match ur quote from other trans shop.

we use MOPAR reman engine and trans, they give us 3yr36k waranty on it. Jaspers are pretty good these day, but like mentioned, They won't waranty the trans unless you use reputatable shop or recommended stores from them.

Yeah, you might end up paying a little more at the dealership, but expect it to last just as long as the first one. Talk to the mechanic that will do the work, see if he can make you feel confident about his work.
If the Motor Mount is bad, they should change it free of labor when they do the trans. And no, it does not affect Trans Life. I've seen Exahaust pipe cracks from the Motor rocking back and forth too much, that's about it.

I've heard nothing but horror stories from Chain Trans shop like AAMCO, rather i've seen more luck from Independently owned Trans shop where the mechanics works there for 10+ years.

I am pretty sure you have a internal Seal problem. Rebuild should be ok, But rebuild trans service is only as good as the mechanic who's doing the work.

Last edited by steak59; 03-12-2011 at 08:21 AM.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:02 AM
trophyslayer
Veteran

I haven't had any problems with my van, but I had called a few trans shops in my area for prices on my jeep(its older and higher milage and like to be prepared)

the shop prices

1 year unlimited overhaul on a liberty is $1550.00 plus tax that price includes being installed

I allso offer extended 3 year unlimited for $1860.00

now that is for my jeep and nothing in writing other then the email he sent me, so it may be worth checking a few more shops

Old 03-12-2011, 09:10 AM
22DODGE22

I just thought a little more. OP has 180,000 miles, looking to spend about $2000 on a trans. How long do you plan on keeping the van? Looking to get 300,000+ miles and keeping it another 10+ years?

Old 03-12-2011, 10:02 AM
EEIT

Originally Posted by 22DODGE22
I just thought a little more. OP has 180,000 miles, looking to spend about $2000 on a trans. How long do you plan on keeping the van? Looking to get 300,000+ miles and keeping it another 10+ years?
I was planning more like 1,000,000+ miles.
Maybe my expectations are a bit too high.

This is the van that my mother drives, but I'm the one who's been doing some of the general maintenance (oil, filter, brakes). I usually take more labor intensive jobs or jobs that require special tools to be done at the local shops. I've maintained it pretty well. Mechanically other than trans, runs like new. Only major thing that's been done to this car was swapping out a radiator with new aftermarket one because the original one started to have leaks due to some holes at the upper part of the radiator. It looks like only slightly used car. Body paint is still like new, some minor dings around the doors that can only be noticed up close, interior still looks like brand new, and there is no odor. When I take it to a dealership for free check-up, they can't believe how good a shape it's in for a 2002 van with 170K+ mile on it. I get phone calls all the time from dealership to get me to sell the van to them.

So the reason I'm saying this is because it is so like new, it's worth keeping it and continue to use it. I wouldn't get much value for this car if I sell it now anyways. It's only worth about $3000 blue book for EXCELLENT condition. My mother likes minivans so much, she wouldn't drive anything else either. Also because it's not really feasible for her finances to buy another car at the moment, it would really save her more money by continuing to use this van than buying another car and go into a payment plan with interests.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:07 AM
EEIT

BTW, thanks for all your inputs. I will continue to shop around.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:51 PM
lovvorn
Banned
Default Rocksprings area tech school

Hi ,you donot need a need a new trans ! I'm an old man now ,but I graduated from tech school in auto rebuild back in 1969 in Ga. I was a young hot rodder an needed the skills . First if the second gear seal was bad it would be gone as it works off oil pressure . If the seal ring is broken you have no pressure period . that is no second gear . If you can find someone to show you where the" low gear band adjuster "is on the drivers side or left side of the trans there will be the" anchor bolt adjuster "for the low gear & reverse bands . low is up front an reverse in the rear just sbove the oil pan on the trans . It will be a 5/16 square plug with a 7/8 jam nut . Break the jam nut an run the 5/16 nut down all the way to stop gentally . Then back off "one complete turn" in reverse & tighten your jam nut . While your at it do the reverse ban also. the same prosedure . What you have is normal wear . Your trans will be new again . My thoughts Lovvorn

Old 03-12-2011, 04:07 PM
22DODGE22

What are you talking about? These transmissions don't have bands. What kind of advice is that?

Quick Reply: Your thoughts on remanufactured transmissions.