Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

1993 No Charging issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 10:05 AM
mattsauto
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1993 No Charging issues

I'm working on a 1993 Gr. Caravan SE 3.3L Conversion van. Removed alt. and checked at parts store. Checked good. I got 14-16 volts from B+ to neg. batt. before removing. Good continuity on all grounds. I've heard that a faulty CKP sensor can cause a "no charge state" on these vans. Can any of you confirm this? I will be tracing the typical schematic from the Haynes manual to check fuse links. Also, can someone confirm that the voltage reg. is computer controlled, and to replace the V reg. you must replace the computer?
Also, the conversion top has had ongoing elect. issues as well. Will work until you hit a bump/cross RR tracks. No telling when it will come back on. The lights don't work either, so I'm thinking something in the over-head control panel between the front seats. Any ideas there? I know elect. issues are hard to diagnose remotely.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Matt

Old 03-14-2011, 08:05 PM
mattsauto
Amateur

no need for reply. took care of it.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:34 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Sorry. I was at work. I would have said to ck the alt for power and ground. Anyway what did you find?

Old 03-14-2011, 09:35 PM
22DODGE22
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would be nice if you would close out with the repair. Too many people want the answers and very few offer the answers after fixing the problem.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:48 AM
mattsauto
Amateur
Thumbs up possible repair solution

I'm not exactly sure which fixed it but here is what I did:
  • I had 14-16V from the B+ to the Neg. term. on the bat. prior to removing the alt.
  • Removed alternator and tested anyway.
  • checked continuity on B+ wire from alternator to fuse box. There is at least 1 fusible link on the B+ wire.
  • I had continuity on the pos. wire from the terminal to the fuse box, and on all grounds.
  • Finally, I cleaned the pos. bat term. and replaced the neg. term.(it was cracked).
  • When I fired it up, I had 14.3V on the Bat.
In the end, I'm not exactly sure which of these actually fixed it, other than perhaps simply cleaning the bat. terminals. The van would start easily enough prior to cleaning the terminals, and there was no physical signs of shorting on the terminals. There still remains a few elect. issues with the conversion elements, but other than that, this will make someone a nice van. Yes it is for sale!

Last edited by mattsauto; 03-15-2011 at 10:50 AM. Reason: grammar

Quick Reply: 1993 No Charging issues