Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2001 GC power window

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 10:26 AM
mfahey
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2001 GC power window

I'm trying to replace the motor/regulator for the driver's door and can't seem to figure out how to remove the screws that hold the motor to the inner panel. It would seem there has to be a nut on the inside but all I can feel is what seems to be a rubber mount which turns with the screw.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:30 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup they are a pain. I usually hold the back side with a pair of needle nose pliers and wind up trashing the nuts. The dealer wants $6 each. You can get them for $2 at Lowes. I looked around the net and came up with the name "isolation" nut but think there is another name. Call the dealer and ask the parts guy what they are called so you know what to look for.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:52 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The new motor should come with new nuts and bolts so trash the old ones.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:29 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup they should include those blasted nuts but in the 4 or 5 regulators I've changed on these vans I haven't seen a one. Maybe mfahey will strike gold.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:40 PM
mfahey
Veteran

Thanks for the help. I'm going out now to give it another try. The assembly I bought off of eBay does include the screws and nuts.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:23 PM
mfahey
Veteran

Success as far as the getting the motor loose from the inner panel. All I can say is may the dung of a thousand camels fill the cubicles of the Chrysler engineers who designed this. It's almost as bad as the mounting of the blower motor for the heating system.
At any rate, I have the motor loose and the 4 screws holding the tracks in place but the tracks are still being held by something at the top which of course I can't see. Any tips out there?

Old 03-30-2011, 09:02 PM
mfahey
Veteran

It's out after I found the two spring clips at the top. The new one is inside the door but I have yet to be able to join the tracks to the window itself. At this point, I'm so sick of this van that I need to find a good cliff to push it off of.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:12 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The glass is held to the regulator by 2 goldish clips that look like large hair pins. The new regulator should have the clips on it. The glass has 2 pins sticking out, they push into the holes on the regulator guide until they clip onto the gold clips.

REMOVAL
  1. Remove the watershield. (Refer to 23 - BODY/DOOR - FRONT/WATERSHIELD - REMOVL)
  2. Remove door glass retaining clips and secure the window in the up position using masking tape or equivalent(FRONT DOOR GLASS CLIPS).
  3. Disconnect wire connector from power window motor, if equipped.
  4. Loosen screws attaching front and rear window guide rails to inner door panel (FRONT DOOR MANUAL WINDOW REGULATOR - TYPICAL).
  5. Remove screw heads on guide rails from key hole slots in inner door panel.
  6. Loosen screws attaching regulator to inner door panel.
  7. Remove regulator from inner door panel.
  8. Extract rear guide rail through inner door panel rear access hole (FRONT DOOR POWER WINDOW - TYPICAL).
  9. Extract front guide rail through front access hole.

I also remove the inner belt weatherstrip so the front guide can be lifted as high as it can. Lean the top of the rear guide forward and lift it until the bottom of the guide can be removed from the door. Then lean the front guide rearward and remove the bottom of it from the door.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:25 PM
mfahey
Veteran

Thanks Tizzy. I've had a bad couple of weeks with this van(spare tire still won't come down, replaced the alternator and now this). I decided to heck with it and took it to a former Chrysler mechanic to reduce my stress level. As I told my wife, I don't mind doing this type of work as long as there is a relatively straight line between point A and point B but if you're having to fight it every step of the way and still aren't sure if what you're doing is getting you to where you need to be, I just decided to swallow my pride and take it in partially done.

Quick Reply: 2001 GC power window