Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Help! 2000 caravan tranny acting bad

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 02:16 PM
slivo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help! 2000 caravan tranny acting bad

2000 base caravan, 2.4 engine, 3 speed transmission. 125,000 trouble free miles.

Work van with tools and mountain driving. Changed fluid at 100,000 miles, and now again today. Everything works fine except it is becoming random about when to shift into 3rd gear. Stays in 2nd longer than needed.

Seems to shift better if I start in 1st and then shift manually to 2nd, and finally to drive. The indicator between 'D' and '2' is hard to read, and sort of crossover.

Quite a bit of shavings on the magnet in the pan, and fluid read over filled prior to change [engine oil leaking into tranny?]

Occasional light shuddering in drive, back off on gas, and it goes away.

No check engine light and havent done codes yet. Which way would you point me?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by slivo; 03-30-2011 at 02:19 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:17 PM
slivo

Could this be the speed sensor?

Does this transmission have a solenoid that I see on other transmissions?

Old 04-02-2011, 10:45 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Welcome to DF
When yo change the fluid, did you also replace the filter? And did you also adjust the front and rear bands? The problem you maybe having is the governor sticking or the gasket for the filter isn't on right. You will find metal shaving in all transmission pans, its just how much and how big are the shavings. You also have a kick down cable or lever to adjust for either a too early upshift or a delay up shift. Yes you have a speed sensor and a lock up solenoid on the valve body. But you don't have a solenoid pack on the outside of the transmission. The only code you may get fot the transmission is for the lock up solenoid. Thats because you don't have an EATX/TCM like the others.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:00 PM
slivo

Yes, changed the filters, and installation seems to be correct.

The metal particles were only powder, no pieces. using a 4+ synthetic fluid.

No slipping, and 1st to 2nd shift is fine, its the shift to third that is random. reverse, no problems.

My 'mechanic' said these transmissions have not had bands for years, but the owners manual says to check at 100,000. I had him do the timing belt at 100m, and asked to check on the band issue, but I dont think he did it.

Pulled the air filter box and can see the speed sensor, and perhaps 4 nuts that I would guess are the band adjustment, but they do not have any lock nuts on them. [?] Do you have any links that show the do's and hows of bands on that year?

I only found one site with photos of 1995 tranny and how to tighten to a certain torque and then back off. And those nuts had lock nuts on them.

Governor sticking? where - how to replace? Would changing the speed sensor be an easy first step?

Thanks.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:46 AM
wtribeflyer
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=slivo;2466963]Yes, changed the filters, and installation seems to be correct.

The metal particles were only powder, no pieces. using a 4+ synthetic fluid.

My 'mechanic' said these transmissions have not had bands for years, but the owners manual says to check at 100,000. I had him do the timing belt at 100m, and asked to check on the band issue, but I dont think he did it.

The powder you mention in the pan is probably normal wear stuff.

The 3spd trans DOES have bands. Its the 4spd trans that has no bands.

Take it to a tranny shop that knows mopar stuff and let em adj. the bands

Old 04-03-2011, 02:58 PM
slivo

Thanks for the reply. We maintain about 7 vehicles, an excavator a bulldozer, and a few backhoes for my business. We only head to our mechanics shop with impossible issues.

We are way out in the backcountry and the only tranny shop closed this year. thats why I was looking for a link on adjustment, it looks like a no brainer with a torque wrench.

Its 4 days since the fluid change and it seems to be shifting more reliably. Its full of tools, and it can still pull up a 30% grade without a slip. the engine is not too happy, however.

Can anyone give an average lifespan for these 3 speeds. 2000 year era?

Old 04-03-2011, 07:09 PM
slivo

Can anyone confirm this is a 31th transmission? Or where to find it on the tranny?

Old 04-03-2011, 07:36 PM
mfahey
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's what i have for adjustment.
BAND ADJUSTMENT
KICKDOWN BAND (FRONT)
The kickdown band adjusting screw is located on left side (top front) of the transaxle case.
(1) Loosen locknut and back off nut approximately five turns. Test adjusting screw for free turning in the transaxle case.
(2) Using wrench, tighten adjusting screw to 8 N·m (72 in. lbs.).
(3) Back off adjusting screw the number of turns listed in Specifications. Hold adjusting screw in this position and tighten locknut to 47 N·m (35ft. lbs.)
LOW/REVERSE BAND (REAR)
To adjust low-reverse band, proceed as follows:
(1) Loosen and back off locknut approximately 5 turns.
(2) Using an inch-pound torque wrench, tighten adjusting screw to 5 N·m (41 in. lbs.) true torque.
(3) Back off adjusting screw the number of turns listed under Specifications. This chart is located at the rear of this section.
(4) Tighten locknut to 14 N·m (10 ft. lbs.).
HYDRAULIC CONTROL PRESSURE ADJUSTMENTS
LINE PRESSURE
An incorrect throttle pressure setting will cause incorrect line pressure readings even though line pressure adjustment is correct. Always inspect and correct throttle pressure adjustment before adjusting the line pressure.
The approximate adjustment for line pressure is 1-5/16 inches, measured from valve body to inner edge of adjusting nut. However, due to manufactur- ing tolerances, the adjustment can be varied to obtain specified line pressure.
The adjusting screw may be turned with an Allen wrench. One complete turn of adjusting screw changes closed throttle line pressure approximately 1-2/3 psi. Turning adjusting screw counterclockwise increases pressure, and clockwise decreases pressure.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:40 PM
lovvorn
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque !!

Hi , After reading all the info given today I think the problem is when you were in the trans pan changing the filter you over torqued the bolts on the filter & an or valve body . Back in the sixtys when I attended Walker county Techinal School the first trans I rebuilt would not shift when completed ! The professor drove the chevy an came back an laughed at me . Mr Walker was his name . He said son did you use a pipe wrench or a inch pound torque wrench an laughed at me !! I pulled the pan an loosened the bolts an put 14 "inch pounds" not foot pounds with a little 8 inch torque wrench not 3 foot long ! You know it shifted as new ! Thats why I attended tech school . Retorque the valve body to specs ! Good luck ! My 2 cents Bud

Old 04-04-2011, 04:13 PM
slivo

Thanks for the detailed posts.

So there are 2 band adjustments - nothing for 3rd gear? Would I 'fix' third gear by working those 2 bands?

And this throttle adjustment - where is it? Inside the tranny?

Speed sensor faulty???

31th tranny?

http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl203f.htm Showing 1995 band adjustment

Last edited by slivo; 04-04-2011 at 04:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Help! 2000 caravan tranny acting bad