Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2006 3.3l Caravan, misfiring, sputtering

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 03:58 PM
fostervs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 3.3l Caravan, misfiring, sputtering

The problem wasn't too bad to begin with, so I pulled plugs to check. At 100k, they appeared to be original plugs. And the gap on every plug was about 3X what it should be (0.050, correct?)

Replaced the plugs with NGK G-Power plugs. This is when the problem really got bad. Sputtering, could hear backfiring through carb, etc. I thought the Caravan might not like platinum plugs, as my 99 Durango refused to even run with platinum plugs, so I bought and installed a set of NGK V-Power plugs. On reflection, I noticed the new G-Power plugs I took out were fairly white, which I believe indicates it is running too lean i.e. EGR. Problem seemed to diminish, but not disappear. Replaced the factory plug cables with some premium ones from NAPA. Same. Got worse and worse, would barely idle now.

Also was getting 0306, 0301, 0300 codes, after reading here I started to suspect the EGR valve, and sure enough it starting spitting in a 0404 code. So I bought ($173CAD at NAPA - ouch) a new EGR valve and installed, with new gaskets.

The problem is still there, although it seems to be less. Still hesitating, backfiring through carb/throttle body. If I rev it up by hand under the hood, at I believe around 3000 rpm, it starts to surge. 0404 code hasn't reappeared, but showing 0300, 0306. Does show a 0073 code, but that is an "ambient air temperature" sensor that "was" in the front air dam - it got mashed off at some point on a curb.

Not sure what to look at next. Can't see any vacuum lines that are easily knocked off, something I possibly did when I was changing plugs. Pulled off each of the two lines top/right on intake, a small one and a larger one, plugged port with with my finger, surge still there on revving by hand.

Can't afford to continue the "shotgun approach" of replacing parts until I manage to get the right one.

Not sure where to go from here. I have managed to make a slight stumble problem into a nightmare it seems...

EDITED TO ADD:
Problem resovled - see this thread:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-c...-resolved.html

Last edited by fostervs; 04-15-2011 at 09:01 PM.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:35 PM
dodge van help

You might want to check compresion before doing anything else. Acording to the book on 3.3l and 3.8l compresion should be between 100 & 220 psi. To see what I went thru look on page 2 of the forum.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:36 PM
trophyslayer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my 06 called for Champion Double platnum plugs (7440),

Did you change wires too?

Old 04-14-2011, 12:27 PM
dodge van help

Yes I did change wires too but the only thing I changed that made a difference was the map sensor. But after everything it was still not right so I checked the compresion and that was when I discovered my problem was bad rings on #3 cylinder. Hope you have beter luck.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:53 PM
dirtviper
Default same problem

hey guys, i'm having the same problem,,, same story, have replaced everything,,,,did some research today, and i think the problem is the torque converter,,,I never would have thought of that,,,but makes since now that I think about it,,,, going to dealer this week to have it checked,,, will let ya know what I find out.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:09 AM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 04-15-2011, 04:56 PM
agent00kevin

Originally Posted by dirtviper
hey guys, i'm having the same problem,,, same story, have replaced everything,,,,did some research today, and i think the problem is the torque converter,,,I never would have thought of that,,,but makes since now that I think about it,,,, going to dealer this week to have it checked,,, will let ya know what I find out.
I have a 1994 3.3L that I had the same issue with. I cleaned the throttle body, checked the plugs, did all of the normal things a person would do when having a misfire/sputtering problem, all with no change in running condition.

I figured while I Was under the hood I might as well check my tranny fluid - and BAM. It was about 1.5 quarts low. I refilled it to the right level and the problem stopped.

The cause of the fluid being low was a leak at the torque converter seal. Fluid was slowly dripping out of the bellhousing where it mates to the engine, from between the transmission casing and a metal plate that goes over it. (and coating things that are probably not supposed to be slippery in the process) I dared not take it to a transmssion shop; they would try to tell me I need a rebuilt one since you have to remove the tranny to replace that seal anyway. (something you can do at home yourself with a good workspace) I just put Lucas Oil Transmission Stabilizer in it and it swelled the seal back up to stop 99% of the leak. The problem went away.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:59 PM
fostervs

In case someone reading this misses my followup thread, it turned out to be the two different sets of NGK plugs I bought, the G platinums and the V standard. Once I installed the factory recommended Champion Double Platinum plugs, it is now running GREAT.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:47 PM
Cbo Bowser
Default Not sure what to do

I have a 2006 dodge grand caravan xlt its at about 100k miles and all of the sudden today it feels like its "missing" while stopping and ideling im not sure if the dirty filters contribute? but going to start there first than on to all fluids etc b4 having to pay the painful $80 dollars just for sum1 to diagnose it in an hour

Quick Reply: 2006 3.3l Caravan, misfiring, sputtering