Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

FOLLOWUP - 2006 3.3l Caravan, misfiring, sputtering - RESOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 09:46 PM
fostervs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FOLLOWUP - 2006 3.3l Caravan, misfiring, sputtering - RESOLVED

Sometimes in my job as a computer/electronics tech, I get going down the wrong path to diagnose and repair things, looking for something far more technical than it really is.

In this case, the problem seemed to have started when I changed the plugs. Instead of focusing on the plugs, I started changing other things i.e. wires, EGR valve, etc.

On rethinking the problem, I decided to go to the Dodge dealer and find out what the factory recommended plugs are. I had a similar problem with my 99 Durango - tried running platinum plugs in it once, and it ran like this Caravan was running. First gen Durango's are known to HATE platinum plugs.

So I picked up a set of Champion double-platinum plugs, installed, and it is running fine now. Other than a surge, which I still need to address.

So if you are having similar problems, I suggest pulling out whatever plugs you installed (in my case it was a set of NGK G-Power platinums, then a set of NGK V-Power standards) and installing these:

Champion Double Platinum #RE14PLP5

Old 04-15-2011, 05:00 PM
agent00kevin

Factory recommended replacement parts are almost always the best choice. Many cars do not like fancy splitfire plugs and all that. Its almost pointless to use them on regular daily driver vehicles anyway. Splitfire plugs take your one good spark and turn it into two or four weaker sparks. Unless you have an aftermarket ignition system installed, its best to stick with OEM parts.

Old 09-28-2023, 10:15 AM
Bigcurt

Originally Posted by fostervs
Sometimes in my job as a computer/electronics tech, I get going down the wrong path to diagnose and repair things, looking for something far more technical than it really is.

In this case, the problem seemed to have started when I changed the plugs. Instead of focusing on the plugs, I started changing other things i.e. wires, EGR valve, etc.

On rethinking the problem, I decided to go to the Dodge dealer and find out what the factory recommended plugs are. I had a similar problem with my 99 Durango - tried running platinum plugs in it once, and it ran like this Caravan was running. First gen Durango's are known to HATE platinum plugs.

So I picked up a set of Champion double-platinum plugs, installed, and it is running fine now. Other than a surge, which I still need to address.

So if you are having similar problems, I suggest pulling out whatever plugs you installed (in my case it was a set of NGK G-Power platinums, then a set of NGK V-Power standards) and installing these:

Champion Double Platinum #RE14PLP5
I have the exact same problem with my 08 caravan 3,3 liter and I also put Champion Double Platinum and it still spits and sputtering, I'm lost for words

Quick Reply: FOLLOWUP - 2006 3.3l Caravan, misfiring, sputtering - RESOLVED