Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2010 Grand caravan and rear brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 10:36 AM
diggyj
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by diggyj
Just wanted to add my 2 cents.

I purchased a 2010 Chrysler Town & Country brand new from a dealership with 28 km on it in July 2010.

In september of 2011 I was getting wheel shaking and pulsing at 34000 km and after taking the car in the said rear rotors and pads should be replaced. Had it done for $500.

Recently I was having the same symptoms so I took the car to a different dealership yesterday to get their opinion and the vehicle now has 41000 km on it. The said the rear rotors have heat spots on them and they recommend replacing them. So after 70 days and depending on the 2 different odometer readings on the invoice anywhere between 6000 and 6935 km they need to be replaced again? What the heck.

They say that the caliper/pad is not moving/releasing properly and say that it could have been an improper service by the first dealership. It may be a bigger concern and for a new vehicle like this they should investigate why rear rotors are warping.

Any thoughts about what I should do? Thank you very much.

DJ
Just to update, I wrote a letter to Chrysler head office in Windsor and got a favourable reply.

Here is part of the letter I wrote:

I brought my vehicle in to Village Chrysler on Aug 5th 2011(31,077km) and again had an oil change done with a 15 point inspection as well as the regular scheduled maintenance. The service department never mentioned anything about the front brakes or a warranty extension.

The next issue I have with the dealership and the vehicle has to do with brakes. My vehicle brakes were pulsating and the steering wheel was shaking when applying the brakes so I brought it in on Sept 16th 2011 and the odometer reading was 34,941km. The vehicle brakes were checked and the service department recommended new pads and rotors on the rear but the fronts were fine. I had the service performed at a cost of $502.21 and at this point in time, again the service department never mentioned anything about the front brakes or a warranty extension on them. After driving the vehicle 6,085km to the new odometer reading of 41,026km the vehicle was showing the same braking issues. After having nothing but bad experiences at Village Chrysler, I decided to take it to another Chrysler dealership to be checked.

On Nov 28th 2011 I took my vehicle in to Agincourt Chrysler and I must say that from the minute I walked into the dealership the experience with the service department was quite pleasurable. The service department was not only prompt, but very friendly, courteous and very informative. I mentioned the braking issue and they checked the vehicle. The first thing they mentioned was the fact that the rear rotors showed heat spots/warping. I told them that they were just replaced 6085km ago at Village Chrysler. They also stated that the front pads and rotors had to be replaced. The service consultant stated that the warranty on the brakes was extended to 40,000km, something Village Chrysler failed to mention in the numerous visits. Since I was outside the timeframe for warranty coverage they could not do the service for free but they would discount them for me. I paid a total of $597.12 for the various work completed. They also stated that the fronts would have showed obvious signs of wear and that Village Chrysler should have mentioned the extended warranty and offered to replace them for free either at the time of getting the rears done or just prior to the warranty expiring.

I brought the vehicle back to Village Chrysler on Nov 29th 2011 and mentioned the heat spots/warping found by Agincourt Chrysler on the rear rotors and they checked the vehicle. After determining that the rears were warped, they replaced them for free. I asked Paul the service consultant why this has happened after only 6085km and he stated he didn’t know why and that it could be anything. No deeper and thorough investigation was done. After talking with several people I was told that it could be many factors, none of which were investigated. I have also learned that this is a serious issue with not only Town & Country vehicles but also Caravans, hence the warranty extension. What disgusts me is the fact that nothing was ever mentioned about the extended warranty when the rears were done on Sept 16th 2011 and the odometer reading was 34,941km.

To make things worse is the fact that yesterday, Dec 6th 2011 we received a letter in the mail from Chrysler Canada Inc. dated Oct 14th 2011 informing us about the extension of the extended warranty for front brake components (pads & rotors). Had this letter been mailed out in a timely manner and had Village Chrysler informed us of this we could have had the rotors and pads replaced free of charge. Instead we had to be told by a different dealership about the extended warranty. Either Village Chrysler was trying to cover up what is obviously a serious issue on several vehicles or they were trying to make a fast buck. In any event, I appreciate the honesty, integrity and excellent service performed by Agincourt Chrysler.

I hope you will address the above mentioned issues and hopefully someone will respond to my concerns.

So after writing this letter I rec. just under $1000 back from Chrysler, just less the tax. It helps to bitch and I highly suggest you all do the same.

If I can also make one suggestion, please do not take your vehicle to Village Chrysler in Ajax, Ont, Canada, they are the worst and speaking with others, they are saying the same thing. Cheers

DJ

Last edited by diggyj; 01-16-2012 at 10:37 AM. Reason: add info
Old 04-26-2012, 10:08 PM
Patty Joe
Default Grand Caravan sxt 4.0 L 2010

Replaced the rear brakes last summer at about 19 K, and the front brakes in the fall at about 32 K. Chyrsler gave me about $700 for my troubles. When my mechanic changed my summer tires today, he said the right rear brake was completely finished. He says that it is not normal to have to change the brakes this soon

Old 05-04-2012, 10:09 PM
Ronnie76

I bought a 2010 Dodge Caravan in April of 2011. It had 16 miles on it. In aug 2011 I put it in the shop with 7700 miles on it to have the back brakes and rotors checked. I noticed the rotors were grooved all the way around and pitted. Dealer replaced rotors. In November 2011 I put it back in the shop with 11500 miles on it for noise in rear brakes again and now noticed sliding doors were rubbing fender wells. They turned the rear rotors and adjusted the doors, and buffed the fenders. ( I know nice of them .........right?) Then in December of 2011 11700 back in shop for rear brakes and doors again they added an "adapter" to the rear calipers, and did nothing to doors. Now its May and just put this junk in the shop for the front rotors and brakes and doors again I have 19000 miles on it so it only cost 50.00 to repair, but they had the rear tires off to check the rotors and guess what.................... They are warped again and need replaced!!!!!!! OMG Now the rear is not under warranty I have to pay 315 plus tax to have them replaced. This VAN IS A PIECE OF JUNK!! Not to mention the service dept is a joke. Just so happened a week ago a repair kit for the doors came out so now they have one on order and the dealer has offered to repaint my fenders. So if there is anyone out there with the rub marks on your fender wells its not someone hitting you with there doors its your sliding doors rubbing! We are seeking other advise since corporate office does nothing about this.

Old 06-13-2012, 04:34 PM
IDontLikeMyVan
Default Same issues as all the above

i bought mine brand new in April 2010. I replaced the rear left rotor and the two rear pads (not at the dealer) when I reached 38 K then I had to replace all four rotors and all four pads (again not at the dealer) when I reached 56 K (less than 20 K) I filed a complaint to the company but they are saying because they were not replaced at the dealer we can't reimburse you but as courtesy of them they did for the first replacement. now I am at 64 K and I am hearing the squealing again and the dust is not normal.

should we, people who are affected, sign a petition to get our vans once and for all?

Old 07-23-2012, 12:20 PM
Kir
Default Brake and Rotor problems

I have a 2009 Grand Caravan that we bought in 11/08. We have had so many brake problems. We have changes the breaks front and back twice. The first time we changed the breaks the filed/ shaved the rotors. Then less than a year later we have to change the brakes and rotors again, front and back. At this time we put on top of the line rotors. It is now 8 months since we did this, and my car is in the shop again for brakes, rotors and calibers to be changed. I am very disappointed in the quality and will probably never by a Dodge Grand Caravan again.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:00 PM
TLee

I Just had my van in to get new front breaks and rotors and back breaks for the 4th time now...last time was 2 mths ago and front breaks were already 50% gone. Why is this problem not being taken seriously by Dodge?

Old 07-31-2012, 05:30 PM
Weekender

Wow. Interesting thread. I had a '96 DGC and just bought a cherry '01 and have had to jump into brake work right off the bat. It looks like this hasn't changed and my solution is a full brake job, Rotors, pads, drums, shoes, calipers and wheel cylinders and all mounting hardware about every 12 - 18 months.

Sorry to hear the newer vans aren't any different in this regard.

Weekender.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:31 PM
WiRik
Amateur
Default Recall Letter for Rear Brakes?

Originally Posted by DodgeCaravan2010SXT
i got a recall letter in mail for 2010 rear brakes. got to find letter to post,
Can you tell us more about this letter in detail?

Old 08-11-2012, 06:41 PM
barbg
Angry 2010 GC rear brakes

Originally Posted by tracyinnewcastle
Is anyone else having brake issues. At 8,000 km we took it in, last March 2010,. and they had to replace the rear brake pads and rotors, obviously covered under warranty.
Now a little over a yr ago they have gone again, at barely 41,000 km. They are telling me they are out of warranty. Does this not seem excessive? I do all highway driving and have never had a vehicle have brakes go this quickly!

We too have brake issues and we have the extended warranty but only calipers are covered. This to me is a safety issue and dodge should be recalling these vehicles. The dealership is unhelpful and not accomadating nor is the dealership where are van is at. We recieved a call from customer care and told them our issues. She gives us a number from dodge canada to call for customer care and that person said take it up with the dealer!! POOR customer service and quality control! RUN AROUNDS from both ends! bunch of garbage!

Old 08-13-2012, 02:24 PM
Fredericar
Default same deal

Same problem here, 2010 GC SXT 4.0L. Rear brakes went @ 24K km and now again @ 50K Km....no help from the dealer nor Chrylser Canada...bad design and no help, very tempted to just trade it in and take a loss on an import...

Quick Reply: 2010 Grand caravan and rear brakes