Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2010 Grand caravan and rear brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 03:54 PM
Herb7472
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is an update on my 2010 Dodge GC SXT USA model.
Nothing has changed much in my corner. I now have almost 50,000 and my front brakes are starting to pulse under hard braking. So I think I better replace pads and rotors soon.
However my back brake problem is still the same. This spring I noticed the driver side rotor was getting rusty around the outside edge. There was only a small ring that was being polished by the pad. This is the side the dealer replaced the caliper last fall. Since I also had a lot of noise that sounded like bearings, I returned to my dealer and asked them to check the bearings as I have extended warranty. They road tested it and he agreed it sounded like a bearing. Chrysler has extended the warranty on the front bearings to 100, 000 by the way, - and the rear bearing is exactly the same. Go figure... Anyway he checked and claimed the bearings were Ok but because I we leaving on a 3000 mile trip, he took apart the driver side rear brake and cleaned everything up, saying he thought that was the problem. I left the garage and went about 3 miles across town and found the wheel HOT. So whatever he did, didn't change anything. Al through my trip I kept the ESP system turned OFF. I had no problem with a hot wheel. I need to install new pads and rotors before winter as they are not stopping as well anymore.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:33 AM
WiRik
Amateur

Herb7472, are you saying part of the problem with the rear brakes could be actually caused by the ESP system?

Old 08-15-2012, 01:59 PM
Gerry-W
Default 2010 Grand Caravan SXT

My wife just called from the dealership, our 2010 van has 44,000 km on it, the break pads are fine, the rotors are warped, they quoted $1000 to put new pads and rotors.

Logically this makes no sense... but after reading this forum it sounds like a defect.

I asked the mechanic if it was safe to drive with the warped rotors, he said that it was still safe if we didn't mind the shimmy feeling. I said I hadn't noticed it so far.

Should we just pay for it, then complain to Dodge and hope they reimburse the bill??

Old 08-15-2012, 02:17 PM
JShrigley

a $1000 is pretty steep for pads and rotors. You can certainly find a better price than that if you look around.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:43 AM
WiRik
Amateur

$1,000 for new pads & rotors is definately steep.

We had an estimate for just the rear rotors & pads on a '10 GC for $325 (+ tax).

As JShrigley says, check around, maybe check with some independent shops.

Wherever you have the work done, be sure to keep all receipts in case Dodge steps up and will reimburse you at a later date (don't hold your breath though.)

Old 08-16-2012, 09:54 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Gerry, there should be an waranty extension on ur front brakes with like $100 deductible for new front pads and rotors. Not sure the coverage in Canada, call chrysler and ask them.
the rear... you probably on ur own. And make sure you use reputable brake shops who do your brake right. other wise you wind up with same problem in a year.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:58 PM
C.L.Kid

I have a 2011 Grand Caravan, bought new.
It is my first Dodge in close to 50 years owning vehicles.
I took it in for a maintenance check and walked out with a bill fo ralmost $600.oo for brakes. This with 27200 Km or around 16000 miles.
I not charges ofr rear pads, rotors as well as cleaning of rust.
Is this usual for Dodges?

Old 08-17-2012, 12:09 AM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by C.L.Kid
I have a 2011 Grand Caravan, bought new.
It is my first Dodge in close to 50 years owning vehicles.
I took it in for a maintenance check and walked out with a bill fo ralmost $600.oo for brakes. This with 27200 Km or around 16000 miles.
I not charges ofr rear pads, rotors as well as cleaning of rust.
Is this usual for Dodges?
where do you live? and did you did this at a dodge deaership? Member in this website are from all over the world, experience varies by regions.
If you did them a Dodge Dealer, and live in US/Canada. call chrysler, mail in ur Bill, they might re-imburst you. But if you did them at non authorize repair shop, you are probably out of luck.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:47 AM
C.L.Kid

I live in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
I bought the Caravan new from a Dodge dealership and had the maintenance work done at the same place.
I like the vehicle, but if it's going to start costing me that kind of money this frequently, I'll have to give it some thought.
Thanks for the input and suggestion.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:29 AM
Gerry-W

I'm going to contact Dodge/Chrysler today... I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for the advice.

Quick Reply: 2010 Grand caravan and rear brakes