Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Inheriting a 1997 Grand Caravan

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 10:37 PM
Deryk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inheriting a 1997 Grand Caravan

Well my 77yo dad has decided next year they are dropping down to 1 car and I said I'll take the GC after someone rang the doorbell the other day askin if it was for sale.

Currently it has 76k miles and runs fine. Its an automatic with a 3.8l engine. There is some quirkyness to it though. Sometimes if you turn the steeringwheel lighly the windshield wipers go on, and he said sometimes the car wont start if the steering wheel isnt straight. the check engine light comes on and goes off all by iteslf from time to time too. He said he had a "solenoid" replaced on the transmission and its fine now. Its been well maintained but he's driving it less and less.

The car is being used 2 or 3 times a week to the store and out shopping. He has a lead foot so it moves alright lol. Ive just built a teardrop sized 700 lb camper/trailer so I figure the GC shouldnt have a problem towing it once I add a hitch, but I was wondering what kind of maint is due like replaceing the timing belt and such?

thanks
deryk

Old 05-08-2011, 11:47 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Welcome to DF
The first problem could be a multi function switch or the IOD fuse in the PDC box under the hood. The ck engine lite maybe a o2 sensor, you'll need to ck for codes. The other problem could be just a bad starter.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:48 AM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No timing belt. You have a timing chain designed to last the life of the van. Go to Edmunds.com. There you'll have access to maintenance schedules for the van. 3rd generation vans strut towers are prone to heavy rusting. Keep an eye on them. Sounds like you need to remove the steering column panels and inspect the wire harnesses. Couple of problems there. Always disconnect the battery before working in that area. Keeps the airbags from ruining your day.

Last edited by Cougar41; 05-09-2011 at 01:00 AM.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:26 AM
Deryk

Thanks! Its nice to know I wont have to worry about the timeing chain. I currently have a 2002 pt cruiser with 93k on it and I know the timeing belt replacement is coming up... hopein it lasts till I get the GC lol.

My thought was next spring after getting my tax return to have my friends mechanic go over it and with a fine tooth comb and give me the list of what I can replace and what is beyond my skill set. From what Im reading these GC's are pretty solid vehicles. It lives in New Jersey so the road salt isnt a real problem, they did have it undercoated and I crawled under it and its pretty clean and rust free.

I wish they had the tow package on it. Would it be worth it to put a transmission cooler on it for towing under a 1000lbs? I am planning on haveing the trans fluid changed. My dad mentioned when he had the solenoid removed the screen was replaced.

thanks again
deryk

Old 05-09-2011, 11:28 AM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never towed anything with my van so can only go by what I've read. There's no written rule I know of. Some advocate a second cooler no matter what you're towing. Considering the less than stellar record of transmissions on these vans it sure wouldn't hurt. Heat is a transmissions biggest enemy. On the other hand your predicted light load and low miles on the van may not warrant another cooler. May come down to the expected trip duration and local topography. Make sure you use only ATF+4 fluid.

Last edited by Cougar41; 05-09-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:46 PM
Deryk

Thanks Cougar, your right heat is the big killer of transmissions and Im sure even with normal use the secondary cooler might help just extend the life of the transmission...and if I can get another 10 years of use out of the van I wont be compalining at all lol.

Quick Reply: Inheriting a 1997 Grand Caravan