Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Strange Coolant leak 97 GC

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 06:03 PM
AcerDeville
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Coolant leak 97 GC

A couple of weeks ago I had to replace my A/C compressor. A day or two later I noticed that I had a coolant leak. It appeared to be coming from the water pump, but the strange part is it only leaks for the first 5 min (or so) after you turn it off. So I got some UV dye and put in the radiator and drove it a couple of days. Pulled the wheel and splash guard off. Best I could tell it was the pump, so I replaced it. That was not the problem, It still leaks just as much.
Now when I look under the hood, I can tell that the water pump is dry all the way around. It appears to be leaking somewhere above the pump and running down across and around the pump. It will dump about half a gallon each time you turn it off.
Does anyone have any ideas, is it possible that I did something when changing the compressor?
'97 ES G.C. 3.3, w/o rear air, FWD.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:42 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

Welcome to DF
The coolant leak could be from the timing chain cover, head gasket or the 5/8 heater hose between the water pump and the intake manifold.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:01 AM
AcerDeville

Thanks, I'll start with the hose. What throws me is why does it only leak for the first few minutes after turning it off? It seems it would leak when it was running.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:46 PM
ship4u

I'm no expert, but I believe that the internal pressure is higher when you turn the hot engine off, because the coolant is no longer flowing through the system. In the old days, before coolant overflow tanks, you never opened the radiator on a hot engine that was not running because of the increased internal pressure. However, you could if the engine was running. If I'm wrong on this, let others chime in.

All the best,
Don

Quick Reply: Strange Coolant leak 97 GC