Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2011 Grand Caravan Trans issues begin!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 04:07 AM
Minx82
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same problem with 2008 GCV SXT not shifting correctly

Originally Posted by Big Dogy
Man oh man. I should have read these forums before I purchased my '11 Caravan last week with 30,000 kms. I don't seem to have the shudder problems but the odd time the van won't shift out of first gear. You have to pull over and shift to park, turn off the ignition, turn it back on and then shift back to drive and it will shift normally. Anyone else having this problem? The MIL light came on also just after I brought it home from the dealer but it seems to be running ok. I have always been a Ford man and had my reservations about buying a Dodge. Hope I don't regret it....

I have a 2008 Grand Caravan SXT 3.8L V6 and I've been having similar issues with the transmission: getting stuck in first gear and having to pull over and stop/restart engine to remedy; shuddering in reverses (most common on incline); and loud clunking when it shifts. I've taken the van to the dealership repeatedly to no avail--they claim they cannot find anything wrong or explain some possible causes...they just treat me like I don't know what I'm talking about! But after reading this forum and seeing all the other 5th Generation GCV owners are having similar issues I know it's not just me and the dealers obviously feed everyone the same line when it comes to these transmission complaints. I've also heard mention on this forum of the possibility that this is caused by the new transmissions on the 5th Gen vans because they're 6-speed as opposed to 4-speed to make them get better fuel economy. If anyone has any additional information about this I would be grateful. If there is a problem I need to address it before it causes any more damage and exorbitant repair costs.

Old 03-05-2018, 01:08 PM
Newscomar1

As most people dont know the new transmissions that dodge put in the new caravans have external valve bodys and require softwear updated. The shutter you are experiencing is due to the hill brake assist your trying to back a 4000lb vehicle up an incline with all the weight trying to push you forward. My 14 has a new transmission in it and does it to. As far as a dealership not wanting to do anything about your vehicle call a case manager and let them do the work for you. I would also recommend going with the tech on your test drive as i made the mistake of staying behind and had to have new transmission put in as they drove it like a race car slap shifting when it dont need to be shifted its auto. If your driving in eco mode in city dont its ment for highway driving. Driving in the city it skips gears and can cause issues. I had alot of issues with my old transmission in after the tech drove it like a manual transmission took me months to get if fixed even having it pop out of park clunking and banging. New one works great and no issues yet. Go to a well known dealer and ask them to check to see if your transmissions software is up to date fixes alot of issues.

Old 03-05-2018, 03:21 PM
Newscomar1

Originally Posted by pacific
I just had my 2011 Grand Caravan in for it's first oil change (5,500K) and they also did
"Perform RRT 11-090 Reprogram Powertrain control module"
"Complete rapid response"
for no charge. Any clues what this was for?

According to Consumers Reports, the transmission is "clunky" in their tests. Well, it is, especially when cold. It wants to get into 2nd and 3rd so quickly, that the shift is a bit jerky. I can live with it. Leaving out of "Economy mode" helps with the smoothness.
the economy mode is designed to alow the transmission to skip gears to get to the highest gear to maximize fuel economy in city driving it will be clunky was really ment for highway driving and long trips i get 33mpg in reg mode and 44 in eco mode on highway city eco is horrible and really shouldnt use it in city

Old 03-05-2018, 03:24 PM
Newscomar1

Originally Posted by Newscomar1
the economy mode is designed to alow the transmission to skip gears to get to the highest gear to maximize fuel economy in city driving it will be clunky was really ment for highway driving and long trips i get 33mpg in reg mode and 44 in eco mode on highway city eco is horrible and really shouldnt use it in city
the update is for the transmission there is new software all the time for these transmissions to keep them efficient its always no charge till your warranty runs out then its 90.00 to have it upgraded.

Old 03-06-2018, 11:53 AM
A4Some

Hey guys, new to this forum but own many other vehicles. I'm not a mechanic but one tip on keeping your transmission in good shape is when you park it. When parking, most people stop the van, put the shifter in P and hit the hand brakes (or foot brake). Well, the proper way actually is to put the shifter in N, then push the foot pedal to engage the brake and then shift into P.
Why? When you put the tranny in N and then brake, the weight of the van is now supported by the brakes. When you shift into P then brake, the weight is placed on the transmission.
That is not good in the long run. Hope that make sense. Try it next time you park your Van.

Quick Reply: 2011 Grand Caravan Trans issues begin!!!