Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2011 Grand Caravan Trans issues begin!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 07:43 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010SXT4.0L
Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed you work for Chrysler

And again you are mistaken. My paycheck doesn't have Chrysler written anywhere on it.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:00 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

For those of you who are not Chrysler, Dodge or Jeep technicians. There are many of them on this section. And also means me too. I have been with dodge since 1989 and still working at a dealer. Everybody has their good points, But everyone starting to take personal. I take it very personal when someone say the product is crap. Yes you take the van/car or truck for repairs, you will get sometimes a NPF (no problem found) and the mil/check engine does not need to be on. The dealership owners don't pay the techs on a hourly bases or a base pay, They work in a flat rate or piece work system. They would like to find something wrong with your van/cars, So they can get paid. Has owners you also have the right to ask a tech or shop foreman to go on a road test with you to verify the problem. And you can also fill the tech in with whats going with you van/car. The other procedures that we do is fill out paper sheet with the customer complaint and note down if any module need to be updated, And drive with a laptop that tech had to buy and do data recording. Because the dealer will not buy one for the shop, as well as a witech pod that has to be hook to the laptop. Oh I almost forgot Then we do a star solution and TSB to solve the problem. I sure if most the Chrysler techs read gentz post, they would have thought you calling the product crap without saying it. I am also sure most of the techs were yelling at their screens too. It just TNtech came out on what he felt. So again for everyone DON'T take personal.The chrysler techs are here to help or they wouldn't be here at all on the forum. And if you guys and gals need to yell at someone, send me a pm and I will deal with it.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:39 AM
gentz
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK...dont know how all this crow got started....I for one if i tought that the vans were crap would i have gone from an 08 to an 11? No sir...I am just stating that it seems the transmission problems still may exist.....I for one think certain Dodge techs are not properly trained.....like i said from experience from my local dealership that inspected my 08, they rebuilt it and never noticed the cracked case, then we performed the teardown in my shop, found the cracked case, got a new transmission through the extended warranty and that was it...Like I said i am talking about my local guys being idiots....there are really good techs out there so pay good attention to my wording....I love these vans as well as my wife, and these 2011 models are super nice compared to the 08-10.....I am logging all my transmission test drives with our wiitech, this way I have hard evidence, as well as I am recording the ignition to capture the missfires...this way the techs cant come back at me saying all is ok......will get back with news....and images.........

Old 06-08-2011, 09:28 AM
pedro123

to master tech:
I just join this forum and wanting to know. what should I do if I have the same problem as "gentz" has ( shudder or vibrate during reverse in a sloped road) . The service @ dealer says nothing wrong. Should I wait for catasthropic event that would endanger my family? Just got my 2011 van 3 wks ago... my mistake during test drive. I didn't backup/reverse in a sloped road.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:10 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

Welcome to DF
I would recommend to have the dealer tech or foreman to go on a road test with you to verify the problem, becaues you are still under warranty? With the tech or foreman with you, tell them what you are feeling. Because a writer just write what you tell them. If you have any question do write. I always glad to hear from our members.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:53 PM
SimTech1
Amateur

As a technician my self( I work on flight simulators as my handle implies), it is a 100% easier to fix/diagnois a problem if a customer can show me what the problem is, i.e. what the conditions are when the problem arise. Otherwise when I have a problem that is written downand no customer to talk to, I can do my best to duplicate the problem(most time I can) but sometimes I can't find the problem and end up CND'ing it.(Could Not Duplicate)

My "two cents" to those who take their car to a dealer and/or mechanic with a "my car is making a funny noise" type of problem is to ask to take a tech on a drive and show them what the problem is, what conditions you put the car under to get it to make that "funny noise" then both of you might just have a better day.......again just my "two cents"!!!!!

Old 06-09-2011, 03:43 PM
pedro123

The service guy also experienced this on his van and other challenger .. and this what he says.. That's normal as your van doesn't have the cable anymore which old van/cars has, electronic vs cable. There is a fraction of a sec the time you press the pedal and to signal the ECM to put the gas or open the valve of the engine/trans, and that fraction causes the shudder or vibration. And the more load you put in the van the more shuddering. As the engine get warm it will perform better. According to him this is normal as challenger also have the same behavior.
Does this sound logical/normal as oppose to my old van (windstar2000) which already have ECM. My old van doesn't have the same problem. Now I know notice, even at idle (on drive), while depressing the brake, there is a little shuddering.
-tx

Old 06-09-2011, 07:57 PM
gentz
Professional

Originally Posted by pedro123
The service guy also experienced this on his van and other challenger .. and this what he says.. That's normal as your van doesn't have the cable anymore which old van/cars has, electronic vs cable. There is a fraction of a sec the time you press the pedal and to signal the ECM to put the gas or open the valve of the engine/trans, and that fraction causes the shudder or vibration. And the more load you put in the van the more shuddering. As the engine get warm it will perform better. According to him this is normal as challenger also have the same behavior.
Does this sound logical/normal as oppose to my old van (windstar2000) which already have ECM. My old van doesn't have the same problem. Now I know notice, even at idle (on drive), while depressing the brake, there is a little shuddering.
-tx
Pedro, that is not normal, this transmission has been out since 08 models and never have they done a reverse shudder like this. There is something wrong, if that technician cant find the problem then ist time to call Chrysler hotline and get them involved...

Old 06-09-2011, 08:54 PM
Scrooboo
Exclamation 2011 Grand Caravan Transmission

2011 Grand Caravan with 400 miles quit shifting out of first after cold start up. Vibration in reverse. Dealer contacted Chrylser and was instructed to change out the transmission valve body. Valve body sent from factory. Got my fingers crossed that this fixes it. It appears that there was not enough pressure in the tranny until the transmission fluid reached a higher temperature. Ask you dealer about it.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:13 PM
mcgusto
Amateur

OMG...this sounds like serious work? Please keep us posted!
I've been keeping a close eye on this thread as I've just bought a 2011 grand caravan.

Originally Posted by Scrooboo
2011 Grand Caravan with 400 miles quit shifting out of first after cold start up. Vibration in reverse. Dealer contacted Chrylser and was instructed to change out the transmission valve body. Valve body sent from factory. Got my fingers crossed that this fixes it. It appears that there was not enough pressure in the tranny until the transmission fluid reached a higher temperature. Ask you dealer about it.

Quick Reply: 2011 Grand Caravan Trans issues begin!!!