Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

My 2003 Grand Caravan Sport rear A/C issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 05:23 PM
Geerhed
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 2003 Grand Caravan Sport rear A/C issue

Hi all, i would like to post my first thread about my van. Great van, and it's been treating us here very well.
I do have a problem with the A/C though. I just got it repaired last year, and now the back A/C isn't blowing cold air!
I think there's a vacuum line off or just a loose wire somewhere, but not sure where to look first!
The front A/C is nice and cold by the way.Just wondering if anyone else has this problem, or knows of the solution for the home garage guy.

Old 06-08-2011, 05:40 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the site. I will move this thread to the Caravan section,
FF

Old 06-08-2011, 06:22 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

what did they atually repair? did the rear A/C work "right after" the repair? or did they removed the rear A/C unit due it cost?

Old 06-08-2011, 08:30 PM
scotter5
Veteran

MOst likely the rear expansion valve located inside of the rear inside panel of the van. See attachment for explanation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8sYR...eature=related

I replaced the expansion valve. the part was 35 bucks. This is common weakness in these vans. rear valve goes out. then you need to refill system with 134a around 3 cans and first vacuum line, although mine wasn't because i didn't have the money to get it done, and soon as opening of the line of the rear expansion valve i plugged a/c line with a cork or run tape over it.

If you put a a/c compressor in when you had it repaired, then i wish you knew if it was flushed out because of metal pieces that maybe lodged within the a/c line in the rear stopping up the gas, liquid from going back to rear.

Somebody else please chime in and find away for this gentlemen to troubleshoot other then what i told him.

scott

Old 06-09-2011, 12:51 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome to the site

Old 06-09-2011, 07:04 PM
Geerhed

Hi all and thanks for the replies! Yes all the air was working both front and back when i got it repaired last year.
Now all i have is the front air, and it's working just fine.
The rear air did working once last week, but now it's just blowing out warm air.
I have tried both with the recirculating inside air on and off too.
Guess i may have to drop the panel form the inside roof of the van that also houses the DVD player and air controls, just to take a peak.
There are two ***** there, one to choose the intensity of airflow, and the other for warm or cold air!

Old 06-09-2011, 08:11 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Geerhed
Hi all and thanks for the replies! Yes all the air was working both front and back when i got it repaired last year.
Now all i have is the front air, and it's working just fine.
The rear air did working once last week, but now it's just blowing out warm air.
I have tried both with the recirculating inside air on and off too.
Guess i may have to drop the panel form the inside roof of the van that also houses the DVD player and air controls, just to take a peak.
There are two ***** there, one to choose the intensity of airflow, and the other for warm or cold air!
so you either got a broken Blend door or Stuck H-block/expansion valve.
Does Heat work for the rear? if it does, then the blend door should be fine. ur problem is probably the H-Block as posted.

Quick Reply: My 2003 Grand Caravan Sport rear A/C issue