Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

1998 transmission out

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 12:23 PM
ACF2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 transmission out

Hello all,

I have a question regarding a 1998 caravan with a 4 speed automatic (3.8 L engine). The transmission is out in it, or at least I think that is whats is up with it. This is the first automatic I have ever owned. My dad and I are thinking about doing it ourselves, and were wondering what the best options are. Should we remove it ourselves and have a transmission shop re-build it for us? Can we re-build it ourselves? Should we look for a new one? Anyway, thanks for all the help and advice.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:58 PM
mirageman
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well I'd make darn sure the transmission was bad before pulling it out. what's going on with it? does it work at all? is fluid level, color and odor ok? drop the pan and drain the fluid. is there a lot of metal sprinkling and stuff in there or do you see chunks of aluminum? trans filter replaced? has antifreeze from corroded transmission cooler lines in the radiator mixed with your transmission fluid like mine did making a strawberry milkshake in your transmission and radiator? assuming it is bad and you want to make a project out of it, you can go to ebay and buy a FACTORY service manual which will tell you exactly what you need to do to rebuild it, not the haynes or chilton stuff. there are 4 books, I believe two of them deal with transmission overhaul. but if you have chunks of aluminum, it might not be worth your while, case might be bad, which means it is unrepairable.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:47 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Welcome to DF
I would need more information. Does the TCM have codes or will not move? If you did it your self, you would need a lift to raise the van and support the engine up and to remove the transmission.

Quick Reply: 1998 transmission out