Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

02 Grand Caravan No 1st, 2nd Gear With Whine

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 11:52 PM
saar74
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Grand Caravan No 1st, 2nd Gear With Whine

Hello all, I have a 2002 Grand Caravan 3.3 Sport that only has 3rd gear. Initially the transmission works fine for a minute or two, and then this loud whine begins to slowly appear. As the whine begins, you loose 1st, and 2nd gear. And thus, I am left with only 3rd gear. Once you turn off the van, you can immediately turn it back on, and everything functions as normal. This whine slowly develops, and as such the functionally of the trans goes with it.

About a year ago, I changed the solenoid pack along with the filter and Mopar fluid. The initial symptoms for replacing the solenoid pack were an odd shifting pattern, and not shifting at all. Replacing the mentioned cured all the problems I had. I did not have the 'Quick Learn' performed at a dealership as mentioned on the forums. I am not sure if this could have ultimately lead me to where I am now...

I have found a video on YouTube of the same exact sounds my van is making:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upZGf-nENX8

As you accelerate, the pitch of the sound follows the RPM of the engine. While doing research, I have come up with the following:
1. It maybe a clogged filter
2. The flow to the pump is being highly restricted

Excuse me if this has been covered, but I have been searching for quite some time. If there is a thread covering this, please point me in the correct direction. Otherwise, any advice would be much appreciated.

Quick Reply: 02 Grand Caravan No 1st, 2nd Gear With Whine