Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

ASD relay continuously clicking

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 10:05 AM
caravan2001
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ASD relay continuously clicking

Been workin on this for a week now. Lookin for help please.
Symptoms- Nostart no crank, continuous relay clicking, even with key out of ignition! Actron scanner says no codes, when I read sensor data everything says n/a except TPS and RPM
What I've done-
Checked IPM (down to circuit board)& wiring for corrosion, all is good.
Pulled all fuses and relays to try to isolate the circuit causing clicking, none found.

Moved on to disconnecting sensors last night, removed the ASD relay (was getting hot). Could hear a faint pinging in the same manner as the ASD relay from the engine, maybe intake or farther down.

The PCM was just replaced 8mo. ago, is it bad? Injector or EGR? Still don't understand why something has power w/ key out, please help.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:32 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
The clicking sound is a feed back with either a ground or low battery voltage. How is the battery? Also check the starter for ignition voltage at the starter too.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:55 PM
caravan2001

Battery is fully charged, can jumper the starter relay and get full cranking. If I leave the battery hooked up and remove the ASD relay the battery will be dead in a day from whatever is making that very small pinging that I only heard last night.(w/key out)

Old 06-28-2011, 07:50 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Then you must have a 12 volt draw somewhere in the van. I do have pdf files if you need them, to help find the problem. Send me a pm with your email address, and I'll send them to you.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:15 AM
caravan2001

Systematically disconnected every engine sensor last night, faint pinging from intake was from the TPS, which also was a little warm, scanner shows me 14.5% at closed and 75% at WOT on this. With this unhooked the ASD relay still clicks continuously. Also unhooked the crank(very hard to get to), cam, maf, egr, injector harness, some evap stuff, no effect on ASD problem.
Next I'm gonna check PCM power & ground, prob run bypass wires for each, and check the harness down by the core support for broken/shorted wires. Might not have time this week tho.
Def, I'll need those schematics, thanks.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:04 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by caravan2001
Systematically disconnected every engine sensor last night, faint pinging from intake was from the TPS, which also was a little warm, scanner shows me 14.5% at closed and 75% at WOT on this. With this unhooked the ASD relay still clicks continuously. Also unhooked the crank(very hard to get to), cam, maf, egr, injector harness, some evap stuff, no effect on ASD problem.
Next I'm gonna check PCM power & ground, prob run bypass wires for each, and check the harness down by the core support for broken/shorted wires. Might not have time this week tho.
Def, I'll need those schematics, thanks.
Unplug the O2 sensors too. Your heater circuit may be shorted somewhere. It actually sounds like a high resistance in one of the 2 ASD grounds. Possible PCM internal.... but test it first. BTW, on that injector harness. I've seen the problem on both side of the connector. Peel that sucker back and check it good.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:03 AM
caravan2001

Unplugged the o2 sensor last night, and I think a knock sensor on the side of the block, had no effect. With asd relay unplugged, key out of ignition I still get pinging from the TPS and it gets a little hot too. Tonite I'm gonna check the inj. harness more and test the PCM grounds. Should I check/replace the ignition sw?
If after this weekend I can't find the prob I'll suspect its the PCM, and I'll have to take it to the place that changed it out 8 months ago, see if they'll warranty it I guess. Thanks for everyones help, hopefully I'll find it this weekend.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:59 AM
caravan2001

I believe I've pulled the connectors on all sensors and can't get the asd to stop clicking, can get to stop w key off, but then when key goes on it starts clicking again.
On pin 30 for asd relay w batt. unhooked I get contuinity to ground, w batt I get .8-1.3 volts.
Checked PCM grnd(blk/brn) get continuity.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:28 AM
caravan2001

Have access to a 2003 Chrysler

Old 07-13-2011, 08:32 AM
caravan2001

Have access to a 2003 Chrysler T&C, should I try swapping the ECC and the IPM to rule these out?

Quick Reply: ASD relay continuously clicking