Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Grand Caravan 2011 Transmission problem Forward AND Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 08:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dodges have never been known to have good transmissions. hopefully in the future they can change that.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:34 AM
Capo

Well now... this thread is certainly a bit concerning considering I just bout my 2011 caravan (express) a week ago.

I'm at 200 miles and no issues so far -- but to those of you who say that lots of tranny problems have been reported for the 2011, where are you seeing that? I've seen 2 threads here and can't find much else online?

Basically, I'm curious if this is systemic across all of them or just a few random bad vans/trannys. Should I be concerned as a new owner?

Old 07-18-2011, 03:59 AM
vpnavy
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, thought it was just me! I have 479 miles on my new puppy. I did search the net and didn't find much on the tranmission problems so I'm keeping my fingers crossed as well. We have to understand, thousands and thousands of 2011 Caravan's have been sold and we have only heard about a few with problems. We aren't hearing anything about the thousands of Caravan's without problems. We know you are more apt to hear about problems on Forum's where members are looking for solutions. Anyway, let's keep our finger's crossed Capo.

Originally Posted by Capo
Well now... this thread is certainly a bit concerning considering I just bout my 2011 caravan (express) a week ago...

Old 07-18-2011, 04:04 AM
Capo

You're absolutely right. I'm hoping this is just a minority, but earlier comments made it sound more serious. I was curious where that info was coming from.

Im enjoying the van so far, but certainly hope the quality holds up.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:16 AM
vpnavy
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My "crew" has that big engine and new transmission - we will see. I owned a 2003 Chrysler Town and Country and heard all the stories on that puppy as well. Thank goodness none of the problems hit that puppy. The only problem I ever had with it was the right rear tail light fell off (rubber rotted around the lens)!

Originally Posted by Capo
You're absolutely right. I'm hoping this is just a minority, but earlier comments made it sound more serious. I was curious where that info was coming from...

Old 07-18-2011, 04:18 PM
pacific
Amateur

Originally Posted by MDJR
So I'm wondering, the faint whistling, whirling turbo like noise I'm hearing at low RPM's coming to a stop...is this normal? Anyone else hearing it too? Just don't want to be too quick to bring it back to the dealer with 2K on the clock.
I noticed that on my 2011 GC (Canadian) as well. It happens when I am driving slow, like less than 10 mph. About 1000k on van.

Last edited by pacific; 07-18-2011 at 04:19 PM. Reason: more info added
Old 07-18-2011, 10:21 PM
Eagle-TSI

Originally Posted by pacific
I noticed that on my 2011 GC (Canadian) as well. It happens when I am driving slow, like less than 10 mph. About 1000k on van.
I did noticed that aswell only after they changed my transmission.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:23 PM
Eagle-TSI

Well. It'll be 4 weeks thursday that my van has been at the dealer for my trainy problem.

I got a total of 4600 km on the loaner car

The transmission control module is in. They put it in today. I stopped by but i was told that my van wasnt ready and it would probably be tomorrow.

Kinda hoping itll be good to go. I need it.

Will keep you guys posted.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:48 PM
Eagle-TSI
Thumbs down Closer to a closure.

Hi,

It's been 4 weeks today since I brought my van for repair at the Dealership.

So, I went to the dealership today, they were installing the Transmission Control Module, for that part, will know tomorrow.

I also had an alignment for the start. My van pulls to the left quite hard. They tried everything, even changed so stuff to give more camber angle, ain't working. The way they have it setup right now it's supposed to be pulling to the right quite hard, but still pulling hard to left. Tomorrow they will take the tires/wheels from courtesy vehicule and try them on my van. They were in touch the Chrysler tech line for that too.

The 2 problems together, sounds like the whole thing is twisted....

I gave them a final date : Tomorrow.

If my van ain't ready tomorrow, I will then refuse to have it back and will proceed with Chrysler for them to purchase my contract back.

Enough is enough. I have 1000$ worth of advertisement ( Decals ) on it and it's sitting t the dealership...quite useless ain't it ?

Will keep posting...

Eagle-TSI

Old 07-29-2011, 01:47 PM
Eagle-TSI
Thumbs down Update...

Alright,

Got a call this morning from dealership. Since they put in the new Transmission Control Module, the main computer has been throwing out codes. One on them is coming from the a sensor tied to the Gaz pedal. They went ahead and ordered a Gaz Pedal assembly with the sensors.

Now, Because the gaz pedal ain't working anymore, they can't go drive it and see if the transmission problem and alignment is fixed or not...we're looking at another full week for sure.

I got my van on the last week of March... and it's been in for repair for over 6 weeks total now ( starting 5th week in arrow ) This is about 30 % downtime.

I called it quit. Enough is enough.

I called chrysler, gave them all the info, I'm expecting a call back next Tuesday/wednesday from a Case manager.

I was asked : "What are your expectations with this call?" I answered : "You guys purchase my contract back, and I get another one. Win-Win situation."

Stay Tuned, More to come !

Quick Reply: Grand Caravan 2011 Transmission problem Forward AND Reverse