Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Grand Caravan 2011 Transmission problem Forward AND Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 03:05 PM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

master tech maybe you should post up a specific oil replacement on the 63te and how the proper level of fluid to be added. also if any tsb or anything related to this transmission. i beleive chrysler has many of these issues on this tranny but yet not saying or doing much. hopefully go from being tsb to a recall. so atleast hopefully chrysler build a good tranny for once.

thats what i get from most people putting chryler down is that there transmission issues are like the #1 on there list of issues.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:23 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

62Te use's ATF+4 as do all the other transmissions. The only TSB is for a flash 2008 thru 2009, and a compounder bearings, which will not be able to do. Checking the fluid level, you would need the stick the dealer use's.Because the transmission doesn't come with one.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:35 AM
gentz
Professional

Originally Posted by DodgeCaravan2010SXT
master tech maybe you should post up a specific oil replacement on the 63te and how the proper level of fluid to be added. also if any tsb or anything related to this transmission. i beleive chrysler has many of these issues on this tranny but yet not saying or doing much. hopefully go from being tsb to a recall. so atleast hopefully chrysler build a good tranny for once.

thats what i get from most people putting chryler down is that there transmission issues are like the #1 on there list of issues.
Just Like Master Tech stated, this is better left to a dealer or experienced shop as there is no dipstick, a special tool needs to be used to used to measure the level and you have to use the scan tool to read the transmission fluid temp to get the correct levels..

Old 07-11-2011, 01:18 PM
MDJR
Amateur

So I'm wondering, the faint whistling, whirling turbo like noise I'm hearing at low RPM's coming to a stop...is this normal? Anyone else hearing it too? Just don't want to be too quick to bring it back to the dealer with 2K on the clock.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:25 AM
Eagle-TSI
Exclamation Update

Hi All,

So today, the dealership called me : "Your, van is ready"...

Me : "What was the problem?"
Dealership : "We changed the filter in the transmission"

Ok...well I went to pick up my van, knowing that a filter would not fix my prolem and guess what : SURPRISE !!! Problem was STILL there....I drove off the lot and it did it within 100 meters.

I got the Service manager to get in the van with me, gave him a 100 Meters ride...it did it again...

I gave them the keys back and went back home, with another Dodge Crappyber...sorry, i mean...Caliber.

Now I don't know what their next step will be and they don't know either ( not bashing at them, simply stating a fact ).

Will see by monday or tuesday what they will come up with and if no solution have been found, I will personally get in touch with Chrysler Canada and try to get a Brand new van, unless Chrysler is ready to send an engineer....which I highly doubt.

My dealership has been doing it's best and that's why I haven't called Chrysler yet as I don't want to bash at them. After all, they also are customers of my business.

Stay Tuned, there will be more...

Eagle-TSI

Last edited by Eagle-TSI; 07-13-2011 at 01:28 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:30 PM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

Eagle theres only one simple solution either they replace the damm tranny or they give ya new van. this should not be a problem with a 2011 in the first place. you gave them the chance to fix it and they choose to replace a filter. come on what the hell does a filter mostlikely have to do with it. You KNOW what this tells me is this. if they removed the filter means they found debri of metals. this means something bad in the tranny. period. no doupt.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:02 PM
trophyslayer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DodgeCaravan2010SXT
replace a filter. come on what the hell does a filter mostlikely have to do with it. You KNOW what this tells me is this. if they removed the filter means they found debri of metals. this means something bad in the tranny. period. no doupt.
I have no input in this matter other then

really, changing a filter is signs of needing a new transmission,(oh no my filter was changed , I better start saving for that new trans )

they told him once about the debris/shavings, why lie now

Originally Posted by Eagle-TSI
What has been done so far :
- After figuring out how to reproduce the problem, I was able to show my dealership and they immediatelly ordered a new transmission. When they took the old transmission, we found alot of Debris/shavings in the oil and a good amount of tiny tiny brownish alluminum powder in the transmission oil pan.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:11 PM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

well changing filter aint a fix. just a way of saying oh we looked at it and now be on your way. what ever happened to the new transmission in the first place, that would of been the solution cause it would of came with a new filter

Originally Posted by trophyslayer
I have no input in this matter other then

really, changing a filter is signs of needing a new transmission,(oh no my filter was changed , I better start saving for that new trans )

they told him once about the debris/shavings, why lie now

Old 07-13-2011, 08:31 PM
Devin D

Well I hope everything works out for you Eagle. My 2011 had to go back to the dealer 12 hours after I took it home and then a week later it spent a month there while they tried to work out the electrical issues. I tried to get a new van from the dealer and from Chrysler, they wouldn't even consider it. I was offered to trade it in for a $ 7000.00 loss. Since then I haven't really had any issues, just a couple little things, I mentioned to someone else on here. I am not going to bash the product, but I really did expect a more seamless experience when I purchased a new vehicle. I am not sure what we will buy next time. The problems have sort of tarnished my experience a little bit, being my first dodge van. Hopefully in the long run, things work out for us both.

Devin

Old 07-17-2011, 08:30 PM
Eagle-TSI
Arrow Here we go !

Ok Guys, my van has been at the dealership for 2 weeks now. I got over 2500KM put on their car ( dodge caliber 2010 )

I called friday, since I didn't had any news and they told me that they had ordered a new computer, the one that controls the transmission I believe. I didn't ask much questions.

I was told that I could drive my van meanwhile......I immediatelly refused. I told them I would not drive the van until it's fix. ( meanwhile I put milleage on their car )

So that's where were at. This week will be the third one that they have the van. As I said before, this is the last chance before the french side of me kicks in. It's my business car and it's loaded with my tools and parts and printer to invoice customers on-site....

Again, i will keep you all pooossstteeddddd !

Quick Reply: Grand Caravan 2011 Transmission problem Forward AND Reverse