Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

vac a/c system

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 06:46 PM
scotter5
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vac a/c system

I may sound crazy but can i vac out my a/c lines with a strong wet vac. I have all the connectors and did it on my house a/c line before. If you say NO. Then why?

i don't have a vac system. there 80 bucks and guy at shop wants 78 bucks vac the system. the 134 has all been removed from the system. i am putting in compressor and accumulator.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:48 PM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

well if u dont do it right then ya just end up replacing parts again down the line.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:06 PM
daredevil

If your vacuumn can pull 14 pounds of vacuumn for 30 minutes or so I dont see why not

Old 07-11-2011, 11:00 PM
wtribeflyer
Professional

The whole idea of evacuating the system is to lower the pressure inside the system to the point that any moisture will evaporate (boil). A wet dry vacuum will simply not pull this amount of vacuum. You need 28.5 inches of mercury to effectively do this. Are you using a gauge set? How far down will your vacuum pull the system? Go to http://www.harborfreight.com/air-vac...ors-96677.html . This is the minimum you should use. You just need an air compressor

Old 07-12-2011, 06:28 PM
scotter5
Veteran

Thanks for responses. As mentioned in opening thread. don't have 80 bucks for the vac. But wanted to know if a wet vac could work and if not WHY? Interesting in understanding why. I believe i have answers from you guys.

Guy I ran into had a vac that can be used.

scott--thanks everyone

Old 07-12-2011, 08:02 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by scotter5
Thanks for responses. As mentioned in opening thread. don't have 80 bucks for the vac. But wanted to know if a wet vac could work and if not WHY? Interesting in understanding why. I believe i have answers from you guys.

Guy I ran into had a vac that can be used.

scott--thanks everyone
If you can somehow manage to make a fitting for it, you can use Engine Vacuum to do it. the intake manifold pulls as low as 20inch hg vaccum, fairly close to 28inch a A/C machine can do.
vent the system to room pressure first. few drop of R134a or oil left over in the system. will not blow up ur engine, dont worry.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:09 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wtribeflyer
The whole idea of evacuating the system is to lower the pressure inside the system to the point that any moisture will evaporate (boil). A wet dry vacuum will simply not pull this amount of vacuum. You need 28.5 inches of mercury to effectively do this. Are you using a gauge set? How far down will your vacuum pull the system? Go to http://www.harborfreight.com/air-vac...ors-96677.html . This is the minimum you should use. You just need an air compressor
thanks!!!!!!!!! I have been looking for something like this.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:43 PM
daredevil

Seeing as how an inch of mercury is a hair over two pounds ,14 pounds of vacuum would effectively be 28.5 inches of vacuum. If his apparatus could pull that and after a period of time he could shut it down and maintain vacuum I see no reason it would not work. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by daredevil; 07-13-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:18 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Scotter, are you needing to evacuate it for moisture OR do you think you have a contamination issue because your compressor bit the dust?

Old 07-14-2011, 01:18 PM
scotter5
Veteran

Thanks everyone--good info. and questions
Tntech--i found a vac some guy who knows another guy has one.
But I need to know that same question b/ now my car is having that problem.
To your question now: it is for moisture--flush sys out/ flush fluid and air compressor. Hopefully contamination will also remove itself in the process

thanks--scott

Quick Reply: vac a/c system