Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

3 speed automatic stutters

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 01:20 AM
jhuteson
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 3 speed automatic stutters

I have a 1999 caravan 4 cyl. the shift up from low gear to 2nd is fine but it kind of stutters hooking up with 3rd gear sometimes , and also stutters downshifting to 2nd gear sometimes, check or service engine light is on too, I really like my little 4 cyl van and want to get it shifting correct, I serviced trans and used the good #4 fluid, if I just use 1st and 2nd gear its OK Help John in Oregon jhuteson@hotmail.com

Old 07-21-2011, 12:09 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Hi John
You said the check engine lite came on? Do you know what the code or codes are.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:14 AM
jhuteson

no I am making an appt. with a trans. shop to hook it up to his machine

Old 07-21-2011, 12:28 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Please keep me updated.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:53 AM
mirageman
Professional

don't take it to the trans shop unless you know that guy well. I just came out of a VERY similar problem with my 98 caravan 4 cyl with the three speed. I thought my transmission was going for the past year or so. I ended up finally getting a check engine code for a cyl 2 misfire. (long story from another post). to the point, my spark plug cables were bad, even though they tested fine with an ohmmeter. misfire gone, the occasional stutter into 3rd and also occasional stutter when torque converter locks at around 40 mph also disappeared. a month or so since changing the wires and there have never been any more stutters. a misfire will be more pronounced at such times as shifting gears or torque converter lockup. take it to autozone, the guys there will read the code(s) for you for free. then post what they find. again, unless you know the transmission guy very well, don't take it there. he'll tell you you need a transmission overhaul. I just came out of a problem such as yours, and fixed it myself with about 30 bucks for lifetime warrantee wires from autozone. good luck

Old 07-22-2011, 10:55 AM
jhuteson

hooked up to analyzer it said code PO420 catalytic converter failure ? I don't need a cat converter where I live John H.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:44 PM
mirageman
Professional

your state might not need a catalytic converter to pass inspection, but your van's computer does indeed need that catalytic converter in place and functioning. don't make the mistake of gutting it, you'll end up messing up the O2 sensor readings and thus the air/fuel ratio. it is very important. the computer is set to run with that converter in place. without it you'll have problems. I had a code for my cat in my 98 about 3 years ago. I thought it meant it was clogged but I didn't want to spend money for a new cat, so I took off the catalytic converter and with a very long concrete bit (I think it was a half inch wide), drilled a hole from input through to output through the honeycomb innards of the converter. I didn't want to lose all converter function for the exact reasons above, so I went with the half inch bit. I hoped that little bit of open breathing room would be enough to stop the code and it did the trick. I drilled at an angle, maybe 15 degrees or so. I did not want a straight through hole because all the exhaust would then go straight without resistance and give a very inaccurate post cat o2 reading. I'd change the ignition wires if they haven't been changed yet first though. good luck

Old 07-22-2011, 11:48 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

The o2 sensors could also be the cause of the P0420 code too. Because if the downsteam is the same reading as the upsteam, you will get the same code P0420 or an exhaust leak will cause the same code too.

Quick Reply: 3 speed automatic stutters