Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Caravan TCU code reader

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 01:34 PM
dan_porter_28@hotmaul.com
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caravan TCU code reader

Hi guys, My name is Dan Porter and I live in Pawleys Island SC. I own a 2004 Ram 1500 Quadcab 4X4, 2007 Chrsyler Sebring and 2001 Grand Caravan. I am having some problems with the Caravan, The old girl has 157,000 but still does not use any oil or leak, she has been solid. The old girl is stuck in LIMP mode, I replaced both speed sensors, cheap and quick but no luck. She had a PO700 on the speedometer that would not reset by disconnecting the battery. I took her to the dealer and she had a 605 code so I replaced the TCU. I got a rebuilt module that is supposed to be programed with my VIN information and has a lifetime warranty. The 700 code on the speedometer would not reset on the old module, but it will reset now if I disconnect the battery, This leads me to belive the TCU did have a problem, but now after I reset the code she starts out in 1st gear but jumps back into LIMP mode before I reach the 1st shift point. I reinstalled the oiriginal speed sensors just to be sure I did not get a bad sensor from NAPA. the new and old sensors ohm out almost exactly the same, the plugs do not appear to have a broken wire, they read closed when I ohm them. Can I buy a code reader for a couple of 100 bucks that will pull the codes out of the TCU. Dealer charges $85.00 to read them. I have had the fluid changed regularly and it is clean and there was no slug or metal shanving on the speed sensors, I don't think she is tore up interally. Any help would greatly welcomed.

Old 07-31-2011, 04:04 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Anytime a TCM has been replaced, you also need to reset the pinion factor. The best scanner to have is one that can read all the modules. Will napa rent the scanner to you so you can find out what the code or codes are?

Old 07-31-2011, 06:37 PM

Thanks for the reply, but the guy at NAPA said his scanner would not access the TCU codes, I also asked the guy at Advance and he said transmission codes on a Caravan resided in the TCU and his scanner would not read them, If this is not the case please let me know. Thanks again, Danny

Old 07-31-2011, 06:49 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Danny
If you know a tech the works at the dealership or someone with a DRB3, ask them to scan the van for you. And ofter a 6 pack for checking the codes.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:54 PM

I have not been in SC very long and I do not have any friends at the dealerships, If I were back in VA I have a tech that would get me back on the road in no time, but he is not into computers, cell phones etc, he is old school!!

Old 08-01-2011, 07:32 PM
trophyslayer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can call around to any transmission shops in your area(they should have a scanner that can get those codes), and ask if there is any charge, since some/not all but some will scan for free in hopes of getting some businesss

worth a try

Old 08-03-2011, 08:00 AM
Default P1787

I borrowed a code reader and the code I have is P1787, OD pressure swt, I can reset it and the van will start out 1st and shift to 2nd and once in a while shfit to 3rd, but will not downshift, it hangs in limp mode, but the code reader does not show any codes, sometimes I can shut off the engine and it will go back to 1st, but most of the time it shifts to 2nd and stays, there. There is a little oil in the plug for the solenoid pack, could I have a problem in the solenoid pack, that could prevent shifting and not create a code? The P1787 code does come back eventually, and the reader does not show the van in limp mode sometimes when it is stuck in 2nd.

Thanks,
Danny

Quick Reply: Caravan TCU code reader