Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2011 Dodge Grand Caravan Crew - Six-Speed Automatic Transmission!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 05:46 AM
vpnavy
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan Crew - Six-Speed Automatic Transmission!

Because I don't have a life - I was going through the Owner's Manual and came across an interest "warning." I would bet the farm that 95% of us had no idea about this little gem!

STARTING AND OPERATING 357

Six-Speed Automatic Transmission

NOTE: Under extreme cold temperatures -10°F (-23°C) and when in DRIVE, transmission operation may be briefly limited to only third gear operation. Normal operation will resume once the transmission temperature has risen to a suitable level.

The electronically-controlled transmission provides a precise shift schedule. The transmission electronics are self-calibrating; therefore, the first few shifts on a new vehicle may be somewhat abrupt. This is a normal condition, and precision shifts will develop within a few hundred miles (kilometers).

Old 08-12-2011, 11:10 AM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, Chrysler transmissions have had that "learning" feature for several generations. It adapts itself over time to the way you drive all in order to provide smooth, efficient shifting. Has all to do with the clutch volume index numbers.

Not sure about newer generation Toyotas but many were designed to not let the transmission shift into 4th gear until the tranny warmed to a certain temperature.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:07 PM
RenHoek
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, is there a way to "reset" this learning feature?? I just bought a '11 GC Crew and although it's fine now I wouldn't mind it be able to learn my driving style instead of having the rental car style it's stuck on now.

lemme know!

Thanks!!

Old 09-16-2012, 09:59 AM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

disconnect battery for one. but if you start using it in your normal way it will adapt as well.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:40 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

I don't think thats what he meant. What Dodge did back a few years was when the weather was colded 32c or below. The transmission would start out in 1st gear and may not upshift until the fluid was warm enough to upshift. The 62TE transmission does the same thing, but instead of 1st, it starts out in 3rd.

Quick Reply: 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan Crew - Six-Speed Automatic Transmission!